Chapter 8

A/N: I've never felt so... upset than I have lately to write these last few chapters. Chapter 8 is not any better than Chapter 6 or Chapter 7. The idea of saying goodbye to any of these characters is... dismal - however necessary it is to move on (for now). 

That being said, I have some news (I know, I keep saying this) for you guys as SOON as we are done with this series. I can't believe that I'm finishing chapter 10 as we speak with 9 being edited. It's truly a whirlwind to say the least! I hope to focus on a few other books before going back into the world of Marvel - I hope you'll join me on that trip! 

Anyways, sit back, hold on tight and here is probably one of the more gut wrenching chapters of the series as well as the denouement of our story... 

"Quite ironic, don't you think? That after all this time you would come and search death out. You, who has cheated death more times than any other creature in this universe, have asked me for your death."

"If you would cut the chatter dear sister and simply end this misery. You're more like Father with each passing minute – leaving me to wallow in self-pity and then denying my right to die. We made an arrangement, now fulfill your promise."

Loki stood before Hela's throne, his body bound in chains for some unknown reason – he had already sworn an oath that he would not run, not that he could. He had made a deal, a new deal, to bargain for Narvi's life. All that Hel required was a soul for a soul, but it could not just be any soul. It had to be the soul of someone willing to die for another. It wasn't that he had truly come to die, but rather to give Sigyn a chance to have her son back. He had done this out of love - love for her. It was always about her. 

"You see my dear baby brother, I would love to give you your son back, the only problem is it's not your choice." Hela's lips curled up into a grin, the black liner around her eyes smudging on bits of skin it did not usually meet.

The God of Lies suddenly glared at his sister, venomous words coming out of his mouth like a coiled snake. "What do you mean it is not 'my choice'? I am the one who made the deal with Vár, who said I would willingly give my life for another and that I would not try to trick my way out of this! Let Narvi go Hela." He pulled taunt against the chains, realizing now why he had been bound. 

"Ah ah ah my dear God of Mischief, you see you did not let me finish. It is not your choice because I do not make deals with those that are dead. To make a deal you must be alive but the moment you said you wished to die, your soul became mine. For Narvi to be free, it must be your bride that wishes it so. Have you not wondered why this is not more common? Raising the dead? No one has ever really been willing to pay the price - to sacrifice another."

Her words struck the mark she had intended. Loki stumbled back for a moment, his eyes flickering to every inch of the ground before him as if he had just come out of a daze.

The entire reason he had taken this deal was to ensure Sigyn had no part in it. All she would have was a letter he was to give Narvi to give to her when he returned to Asgard. In the letter it was to say that he would see her again, but for her to take her time. That he had outlived death too many times and for her to have Narvi back was far more important than her having him. He did not care if she disagreed but within his letter he urged her not to look for him or try to rescue him – that Narvi's safety depended on it.

"Hela..." His mouth struggled to form words. His eyesight blurred, but the sight of Hela smirking would not leave his mind. He had never intended on seeing Sigyn again and Hela knew it.

"The God of Stories without something to say? My my, this is unusual. Guards!" Hela waved her hand as some of the skeleton guards of the underworld pulled him towards a cell.