Love

The pale moonlight basking through the window is your only light source in the dark, sleeping quarters. Its florescent hue cascades over your bare chest and blanket covered torso in the bed that was once only sort of foreign to you. You had told yourself time and time again that you wouldn't get used to this arrangement; that this room, this bed, would simply be a temporary getaway and nothing more. But as you looked to your left and planted your eyes flat on the naked back of the famed Captain Levi Ackerman himself, your heart began to go a flutter, despite your promise.

Time and time again, on nights just like this one, you often found yourself under these very covers next to this very same man. It was not out of love, no. It was far less complicated than that.

...

Months earlier your squad had gone down to the common room to unwind with some drinks. You, on the other hand, wanted to stay behind and keep company with the horses in the stable. You had never been very social, and definitely not a party person. You felt you had more in common with animals than people, and nothing was more unwinding after a stressful day in the regimen than just watching the horses in the lantern light.

You sighed, leaning over a stable wall staring at one of the commander's beautiful, white stallions. What you wouldn't do to take this gorgeous horse for your own a live your life riding and raising it at your very own ranch. But with the current Titan situation at hand, that was only a mere dream.

Whilst deep in your own daydream you quickly snapped out of it after hearing the tapping of someone's rubber soled boots walking along the stable floorboards.

You turn and see Captain Levi steadily approach you.

You scramble, quickly saluting at his mere presence. You tightly slam one fist behind your back and the other against your chest, standing perfectly straight "Captain Levi, sir!" you shout from habit.

Levi raises his hand to you "At ease, soldier".

A little slow a first, you release your tension, dropping your arms to your sides.

"And what are you doing here, Last/Name (L/N)? Why aren't you with the rest of your squad in the common room?" he asks with a grumble.

"Oh?" you were surprised by his sudden curiosity "Well, I guess I more wanted to spend my time away from the noise and enjoy my down time with the horses instead".

Levi smirks at your answer, huffing slightly "Understandable".

It gets a bit awkward as the following silence begins to get to you. You felt you could cut the tension with a knife.

"How about you, Captain?" you shyly pipe up "What brings you out to the stables?"

He was now slowly striding a few stables down from you as he turns his head around "Hm, I guess it's kind of for that same reason. I'm also not really fond of drinking, and I more wanted to see the state of the horse's pens for myself," he glances further down to the other side, getting on his tip toes to see into each one "But from what I can tell, it's not looking half bad. Are you responsible for that, Soldier?"

"Y-yes, actually, I am!" it was silly of you to forget, but you then recalled that Captain Levi was, in fact, a clean freak.

He wipes his finger along the top of one of the stable partitions separating the horses, analyzing the dust built up on his finger "Not bad, but not perfect".