Barley Breathing

It was over. The battle was over. So many fallen Soldiers were scattered among the forest floor, slowly becoming one with the roots just below them. What ended that horrid abnormal's rampage was Levi himself; as soon as an opening made itself clear in his sights he acted, ending the Titan's rampage in an instant. It was almost unfathomable how quickly it ended after all the hours of devistation that beast had caused. Now, all the survivors were gathering together, and collecting all the bodies they could find. Each corpse was placed on the back of a horse powered flatbed, only to be transported to a location where they could be permanently rested to keep the honor for them alive.

Despite the victory, no one was smiling. Covered in dirt, sweat, and blood, the Cadets still standing got on their respected horses who began to trot their way back to base camp.

"How many did we lose, sir?" a Scout asked his Captain.

Levi sighed, looking back at the low number of followers behind him compared to the number when they arrived "I don't know yet, but it's too many. But we have to move on, for humanity's sake".

"Help! Someone! Captain!" a voice rang out from far behind the squad.

Levi turned in an instant to see what the fuss was about. The voice belonged to none other than Kert the Scout.

"I found Y/N in the brambles," Kert shout to Levi.

Levi's eyes widened when he heard your name "Y/N?"

Kert caught up to Levi and the Captain was able to see your limp body draped in Kerts arms atop his horse.

"Wait, is she...?" Levi's voice began to quiver.

"She's still alive sir, but she needs urgent medical care, stat!"

Levi's nerves rested hearing that you were still living. But he looked more carefully at you, analyzing for himself how bad your injuries were.

"Her legs," Levi felt a lump get stuck in his throat "they're completely gone".

It was true, after that Abnormal snapped onto you you survived, but at the cost of your legs from the middle of your thighs down, and a hell of a lot of blood. Your skin was losing its color, and your breathing was slow.

"Sir, please! Where's the Doctor?" Kert shouted in panic.

Levi, who was lost in thought, shook his head back into reality "Put her on the cart with the fallen Soldiers for now. With wounds like that she'll need major medical attention back at HQ".

Kert nodded and did as he was told.

Levi was left in the front of the Squad by himself. Although he maintained a strong and confident composure, the mere sight of your nearly lifeless body dangling in another Scout's arms gave him a sharp pain in his chest. He couldn't help but feel guilty; he thought you were back at base in the infirmary, so he didn't even think to check for you, or even notice your body in the grass before Kert did.

Levi still had yet to understand his feeling about you, but this incident sure made him think more about it.

---

Levi heard a knock at his office door. The sudden sound surprised him, taking him away from his paper work.

"State your name," he says in a gravelly tone.