Chapter 21: Start Over

It's been... Days... since I've heard from him.. I don't know what's going on. Maybe he got super caught up on a mission.. Maybe he's dating the neighbor now and she has jealousy issues... Maybe he ghosted me...

I felt sick to my stomach thinking of all the possible outcomes as to why I haven't heard a word from my best friend, when we used to talk all day.

"Earth to Ally!" I heard one of my fellow interns snap at me.

I jumped out of my daze and nearly dropped the clipboard in my hand.

"Sorry! Just. Got some things going on." I admitted as I shook it off and moved on to make my rounds.

"Ugh. I can't wait until we're real doctors!" She began blabbering beside me as I tuned out her voice and responded with agreement.

I pulled out my phone one more time...

Steve, just tell me you're alright.. I'm really worried.

I sent the text and immediately regretted it. What if he didn't want to talk to me? I texted Nat... she hadn't even replied... God, the more time that passed the more stressed and worried I became for the safety of my friends.. I wouldn't dare contact my parents! They'd fly me home against my will and never let me leave the house after this! Then I saw it... The commotion going on around the TV at the nurses station. It was... Steve.. and Nat... and Sam... right in the middle of all the danger. Fighting some creepy dude with a metal arm. In the middle of the highway!! I couldn't watch any more of it.. my stomach was flopping and churning, I ran to the nearest trash can, puking up everything I'd eaten today. I went to the bathroom and tried to calm myself down, and clean myself up, when... OF COURSE. In walks Alyshia. The bully from class... she's always picking on me! She is ALWAYS doing shit that's just shady and low she's a snake...

"Great." I mumbled to myself as she came to lean on the counter in front of the mirror, staring at me with an annoying ass smirk..

The impossible happened...

"WHAT." I said. I was in no mood for banter today..

She looked at me almost sympathetically,

"Come here." She said quietly and pulled me into a hug.

Not a shady, condescending hug. A real hug. She patted my back lightly and tried to console my increasing inner panic.

"I know I hate you, but I know how much he means to you.. yeah that's right I see who you text all day I sit behind you in class..." she chuckled,
"He's going to be alright. He's captain America... he has to be." She smiled sweetly at me as she pulled away from the hug.

"For the record, he's not my boyfriend." I chuckled.

"For the record, I don't care." She rolled her eyes, "if you need a change of scrubs my locker is always unlocked, but I BETTER get them back!" She pointed at me before leaving.

What. The. Hell. Just. Happened.

I finished cleaning my face and walked out to the pit (that's what we call the trauma unit).

All day I thought of him... all day... I prayed harder than ever.

Just as I was leaving the hospital, I got a call from a blocked number...

"Hello?" I answered cautiously.

"ALLY!"  A voice of relief rang.

"STEVE!? Oh my god are you alright I saw the news WHATS GOING ON?!" I let out my emotions.

"I'm fine everything's fine I'm safe, for now.. I gotta go after him Ally I have to... it's... it's Bucky." He said almost out of breath.

"Wait.. Bucky? Like, BUCKY Bucky?!" I asked in disbelief.