The Glory of The Sun

Warmth seemed to envelop her every muscle, sinking deep into her bones and leaving a feverish heat lingering on her skin. She could never remember feeling so warm before in her life... And never had her sleep been so soundless. Had Octavius snuck in to give her an extra blanket?

  She blinked at the darkness met her. This was not home. And Octavius had not crawled into her bed to ward off the chill. A heavy form lay next to her, his chest rising and falling with a slow and steady rythym, the sound of a heartbeat in her ears. It was then everything came flooding back to her, her cheeks warming some as she sat up.

  Helios's arms slid gently off of her, falling limply back to the bed as he did not stir. She looked to the window, knowing dawn would be on its way soon. Eos would begin her dance, and Helios would go charging off in his chariot not far after her... And he would leave Abelia's side. The thought made her anxious, for she did not want to be without him when everything was so... New and unsure.

  But the people depended on him and the life giving rays of his light. She could not be selfish.

  She looked from the open arch to the sleeping god, studying his features in the dim light. In her earlier panic she had not had time to appreciate the intricate markings that littered his skin, thin black and golden marks spanning out into sunrays. On his arms, his legs, his chest... A sunburst even decorated his forehead. She blinkes and reached forward shyly, pale fingers sweeping his dark hair out of the way so she could admire its art.

  His skin was warm, the power of the sun dwelling deep beneath his skin. His brows furrowed some as she traced the lines of the sunburst, but he remained in Hypnos's embrace, Abelia humming softly to herself. He was beautiful, more so than any soldier of village boy she had laid eyes on. She tried to think of this beautiful being keeping her safe and holding a deep adoration for her from that day in her childhood... And she couldn't see it.

  She did still not understand why he had chosen her, why he had heard her cries amongst the noise of the rest of the world. That feeling she had before came to her again, that nameless feeling that felt like invisible flames licking at her veins... Filling her with a feeling of power. She didn't understand it at all.

  Her pale fingers drifted down the curve of his nose, feeling along the strong arch of his brow, the rise and fall of his cheekbones. He mummured something in his sleep, but it was not until her studying fingers traveled lower that he awakened. Her pale fingertips swept over his lips, tracing the dip of his cupid's bow, the swell of his bottom lip. Helios made a soft drowsy sound, molten eyes fluttering some.

  They cast Abelia's face in a soft golden light as he awoke, his cheeks bathed in the same. She went to pull away but he caught her hand in his, pulling it back to him and pressing a warm kiss into the palm of her hand. Abelia flushed at it, averting her eyes.

  "I was admiring the mark on your forehead. Are they permanent? Papa spoke of sailors who had marks that never faded from their skin."

  "Yes." His voice, echoing and strange but so very comforting, was laced with the gravelly remnants of sleep. It made her stomach twist as he pulled her back down to him. "They are permanent. But I am not the only god with such marks as you will see." He rested his forehead against hers, another sleepy sound escaping him. Abelia giggled at that, biting her bottom lip.

  "You sound like a sleepy bear."

  "I might as well be one." He gave her a warm smile back. "My trek across the skies tires me out... But the worry of not knowing if you were alright drained me more than I thought I was capable of." Abelia sobered some, her pale fingers shying into his dark hair as she wiggled close.