The Elysian Flame

Grand untouchable Olympus, wreathed in cloud and majesty with its pristine halls and never dying fires, the sun glittering off its gilded accents, had never seemed so gloomy before. The bright and beautiful Persephone had always tried to keep a smile for Demeter, for no matter how much she loved her husband and her children, she did still love her mother. And seeing her face downcast was more than she could bear.

But today Hades's pale throne was not empty, and she sat at her husband's side fretful and anxious. Her slender fingers were linked tightly with his, his rings as cool as his ashen skin. Dark brows were furrowed deep, crimson eyes staring out into the distance. He was cleanshaven unlike his brothers, but there was a coldness in his face, a fiery laurel of blue flame and silver set atop his short dark hair. He wore all black armor, a cape of rich violet lined with silver falling around him.

While he, dark and cold, she was light and life, her long white hair cascading down her back until white fades into a brilliant gold. Her eyes shined the same gold, as if Helios himself had breathed light into the Goddess of Spring. Pale pink flowers and a golden laurel sat atop her own dainty head, her slender form dressed in whites and pale rose with butterflies and flowers woven into her dress. A pale butterfly landed on Hades's cheek, but he did not seem to notice it. With a sad smile Persephone waved the little thing away from her husband, letting it settle back upon her hem.

They both already knew why they had been called.

"I call upon you today, brothers, sisters... Children. I call upon you today to discuss a danger than has befallen us." Boomed mighty Zeus. His blue eyes flashed like lightning as they fell upon Hades, stepping away from his throne to hold out a pale box lined with gold. It had once been the bed of something so precious to the gloomy pair, now empty.

Or so they thought.

Within the ornate glass of the box they could see embers burning, a faint flicker of a weak flame dancing for a second before disappearing back into the dully glowing embers. The gods seemed to look at it in confusion, but Hades wordlessly stood, his loyal queen following after him with butterflies in her wake. Hades took the box from his younger brother, he and Persephone looking into it with surprise.

They had known why they had been called, for this was a mess of their own making. But they had not expected this. Persephone held tight to Hades's hand, hiding a smile behind her hand and feigning horror as tears fell from her golden eyes. Hades squeezed her hand in response, but his face was serious as he regarded Zeus. He was after all, a much better actor.

"So The Flame has found a home." He said, his growling voice echoing around the throne room. The walls, so unused to hearing him, seemed to shrink back in response. Hera frowned from her throne, her eyes fixating on Zeus.

"What is this Flame they speak of, husband? Why have you allowed Hades here?" Zeus looked to his elder brother, expecting him to explain himself, but it was Persephone who began to speak.

"The Flame was of our making. Not quite god, not quite soul... Not quite anything. When The Flame first came to be, I felt as if I were heavy with child again. But only a few days later did The Flame escape from my chest when I visited the Elysian Fields. It was but a wisp of a thing, pale golden flame that seemed the dance and prance about my feet... No bigger than a child but never taking a distinguishable form. I considered it my child nonetheless." She looked to Hades.

"It never left the Elysian Fields." He continued for her. "As if scared to leave the light. It played with the spirits there, and it seemed to adore Zagreus and our daughters as any sibling should. But to be near to it... Was to feel a power unlike any other. Something older than the Titans, something more than ourselves. Persephone likened it to the feeling of hope... And love. Something pure that burns as bright as it can until something comes along to put it out. In physical form." The others gods seemed surprised by this, but they accepted it quietly. After all, much stranger had come to pass in their domains than a little spirit born from a goddess.