11

ROXIE

"ROXANNA GET DOWN HERE".

I roll my eyes and set down the book I'd been trying to read for the past hour. After I'd gotten home from practice I'd decided to open the stupid book that was assigned in english. Lord of the Flies.

I read up until the point where the boy with the red hair turns out to be the villain. Can you say basic.

"ROXANNA"

With a frustrated sigh I get up and head down the stairs only to see my mother in a fancy getup. I eye the diamonds on her neck and know that she's going to see one of the many men in her life. Diamonds, equal money man.

My shit dad and mom split a few years ago, and ever since my mom has been trying to replace him with someone richer and grimier.

"Going somewhere," I ask despite already knowing the answer.

"As a matter of fact, I am. And I need you to make yourself scarce" her mother says offhandedly.

"Make myself scarce? Didn't know you knew that one" I mutter slouching into a leather couch.

She stops slathering on the hideously red lipstick to pout at me. Damn I knew I got that pout from somewhere.

"Don't be rude Roxanna, it doesn't suit you" she says grabbing her clutch.

Please. Everything suits me.

"Anyway you'll be staying with your father for a few weeks while I'll be out of town," she says with a red smirk.

Wait what.

"Wait, what"! I exclaim.

What I didn't mention about my father is that he was having an affair with my mothers stepbrother. It was all very messy and I haven't talked to him since, and I thought my mother hadn't either.

"Your father and I have been communicating lately and we've agreed that you and him should reconcile your relationship. And since I'll be out of town this is the perfect time. And I don't trust you in this house alone after that party you threw".

I look at her and try to see the glint in her eyes to tell if she's joking or not.

There's no glint.

"Mom, you can't be serious. I mean, he's fucking engaged to Uncle Garrett" I say incredulously.

"You think I don't know this Roxanna, he sent me a fucking evite," she says throwing out her arms and knocking over a glass vase nearby.

Whoop there it is

"Ahhh, so that's why your going out of town. You got dads wedding invitation and poor Sara just had to skip town and make it seem like her life is together," I say examining my nails.

"Listen here you little shit, that cocksucker can do whatever the hell he wants. But I will be damned if I sit around here being miserable while he does it" she grits out.

Rolling my eyes I get up to grab a broom and sweep up the glass. "And where exactly are you going" I ask, finally seeing the luggage in the corner.

The doorbell rings and my mother takes one more lasting look into the mirror

"Paris," she says with a devilish grin and opens the door.

Standing in the doorway is a tall dark man dressed expensively with a chiseled jaw and perfect lips. He literally coined the term tall, dark and handsome.

"Hello Sara, you're looking as gorgeous as ever," he says grabbing a handful of her ass.

I clear my throat so this chiseled man knows that her daughter is in the room.