Chapter 1: Leopard meets Lion

Escape. Run. Run. Run. The dry earth welcomed the three escapees as Megan navigated them to wherever territory they’re crashing in. Without any route, the three kept on disappearing and appearing as Megan attempted to lose the Arrows who’ve been tailing them.

        Being chased by bunch of Arrows was a damn bad thing. Persistent bastards, she thought. Arrows were soldiers of an organization devoid of emotions named Psy. They were mighty soldiers, trained assassins whose objective was to follow orders, and now the order was to bring Megan and her siblings to the organization.

        As Megan clasped the hands of her two little siblings, her fiery adrenaline rush stirred her almost draining physical, mental, and psychic states. The best adrenaline rush is perhaps during a situation when you carry your life and others’ lives on your shoulders. Megan’s situation: Exhibit A represent.

        The disappearing-appearing act kept on--not minding whoever territory they’re barging in. Megan had been teleporting around the country for more than half a day while she carried two children with her. The two were not making any noise but their hearts were racing, pounding so hard of anxiety of what would happen next. Megan knew she might fall from exhaustion, but she damn well knew that the need to live precedes the need to rest.

        Their parents, their pack as a whole was ransacked by Arrows. It was morning when the emergency bells clanged and red flags waved in the air as christening of morning greetings. Caught unprepared, their defenses proved too scrawny for mighty Arrows who were too damn prepared. It’s even a big question how they managed to infiltrate their area. Did they have a map with their traps in highlighted portions?

        The dark memory of the place once filled with warm bonds fueled her draining energy. She could remember the shrieks and cries of their mother as their father covered them and growled at anyone who came close near them; how he ripped any Arrow soldier’s flesh to buy them distance and time. No. After her parents’ sacrifices, she could not stomach the idea of letting them down. That was one immutable notion.

        Megan clenched hard to her human form in order for her to teleport as much as she could but to hell with teleportation, an Arrow who’s currently hunting them can also teleport. Her subconscious whispered that she was drained to the core after running for almost half a day. But, fact remained that what fueled her adrenaline to push her to the limits was her siblings. She’s fixed with the resolve that the Arrows would never lay a finger to them, not even during her afterlife—which she had no plans yet.

                She brought her siblings to a hiding, to a tree which had gigantic roots big enough to cover three or four adults. She looked at them, sweaty, tired, but their eyes were filled with fury. Their eyes relayed a message that almost crumpled her heart.  They wanted to fight alongside their sister. But no. As much as she appreciated their unsaid sentiments, she could not afford losing another family member; thus, she needed to materialize her plan.

                She sent quick warm kisses to her siblings. Everything’s happening too fast and their moment would only be temporary. She’s a warrior honed in battles and had already signed up for death, but separation would not just tear her heart but also their little hopes and hearts. Gush of tears streamed from her eyes. Cupping her little brother’s face while looking at her deep brown eyes, “Protect Lani. If anybody comes close, mess with their neural network. Cripple them. Kill them. I will just lead them to the other side. PROTECT HER. BE STRONG.”

                Her little brother knew better. Knowing that her sister will be facing more Arrows, more enemies than they would ever know, that she would simply make herself the bait and probably be killed in the midst of all, Caesar wiped the tears on her cheeks with the back of his hand. “No time for drama. Take care of yourself.”