Chapter 4: A Problem or Not?

Two days after Megan woke up, she was still in bed trying to regain her strength. Her psychic powers alone were drained to the core which made her healing process slower. Although unfamiliar to the scents of people around her, the scent of the DarkRiver pack, Megan’s getting used to it.

It was around lunch when Jackson was left with Megan. He heated the porridge that Tammy, the woman with brown hair who gives him a hand in taking care of his guests, cooked a while ago before she left to tend to the little cubs who were in a fight.

Carrying a bowl and a glass of water to his room, he went inside the room and grabbed a chair. Megan’s eyes dilated and her eyes were filled with joy after seeing food. She was waiting for Jackson to hand it to her but Jackson did not do what she expected. She raised an eyebrow. “Leopard.” He snarled at the Leopard name. How can their genus be his name? Jackson is his name. JACKSON.  “Jackson.” She withdrew calling him his animal name.

                Jackson, still looking at her envious state while hugging the bowl of porridge and holding the glass of water, had no intention to give it to her easily. “Why?” He was enjoying tantalizing her.

                Megan glared at him. “Food.”

               Jackson could not help but let out a soft laugh. Jackson was enjoying her facial expression. Who would have known that the strong woman who killed a number of Arrows and a TK, is pleading in front of him for food.

                “Give me my food.”

                Jackson planned to keep teasing her. He grinned. “Are you sure that this is your food?. This is mine. I plan to eat this.”

                “You pain in the ass. Just wait when I recover here, I’ll surely break your bones.” Her mouth did not hesitate to talk informally to him. A no-filter mouth.

                She’s really back to her old self: cursing me. “Threatening me lion?. Well go. You have a week or a month at most to recover. By that time, you’ll be famished.” Jackson just smirked at her because he held the good cards.

                Feeling helpless, she sighed and just flashed a smile. “Hand me the food please?” The curve of her lips pushed her cheeks and made her eyes squint as if they were also smiling. An unknown force made his heart leap and the unfamiliar tug was too uncomfortable for someone like Jackson. He never felt his body react this way before. Before he could gape at her warm facial expression, Jackson immediately handed her the food. “Stop that smile.”

                Megan stuck his tongue out to tease him. Her eyes glimmered of happiness upon having the bowl. Ahhh. Food. One of the best delighting things in the world. She tried to scoop a big amount but her body’s still screaming with muscle pain.  “Ow. Ow. Ow.”

                Jackson lifted his hand to help her but Megan welcomed him with don’t-bother-glare. After all, she was not invalid. Maybe quite a bit. But it did not mean she could not eat her food. ESPECIALLY IF IT’S FOOD.  Jackson sighed at his stubborn guest. Whether or not she wanted it, he took the bowl away from her and scooped a fair amount of food. “Stop being so stubborn. Eat.”

                It was a sentinel commanding her to eat. He lifted the spoon and assisted it with his free hand’s opened palm to make sure no food is spilled on the bed. If she would be too persistent, he would have to shove the food directly in her mouth next time.

                Instead of opening her mouth, she stared at the stranger who was showing kindness to her, although it’s displayed in a tough manner. There were payments that should be paid and Megan wondered what he would be demanding from them. Still, fact remained that the man saved them. She did not know how to thank him for coming in their lives when they were at the brink of helplessness.