⑊ s i x ⑊

"S I T down," mother says, her red lipstick parting to reveal a slightly sinister smile

"S I T down," mother says, her red lipstick parting to reveal a slightly sinister smile. I glance at River, who looks surprisingly calm and collected. We comply by sitting on the gray chairs next to the computers.

"Now," my mother's eyes eyes flick from River to me, and back again. "What is it you'd like to ask me?"

"Hi," River extends her hand, flashing a perky smile. "I'm River Grey, Orion's partner for operations management at Skylar University. Our professor gave us an assignment to interview someone in the business management industry."

"Ah, yes," mother says, looking at her approvingly and shaking her hand. "I am Mary Parker. Thank you for coming in."

"Of course," River reaches into her backpack, pulling out a clipboard and a pen. I raise my eyebrows, again shocked at her throughness. "Lets get started...shall we?"

Many questions later, my mother is completely relaxed and is laughing along with River. They seem to be only simple questions about her company, but in reality they contain details about the way she runs the organization. I'm not great at deduction, but something tells me we'll be able to use this information to break in.

We wrap up and mother leads the way out of the office. "I hope to see you again my dear, and I hope you got all the information you needed," she tells River, then turns to me. "Its good to see you, son. I'll be home at 6:30."

"Yes, thank you very much for letting us do this," River says, still smiling, but I can tell she is wavering a bit.

"You too mom, see you then," I wave as we walk down the hall. "My mom liked you," I whisper in River's ear when we get out of sight.

She leans against me, letting out a breath. "I was so nervous. I can't believe I actually pulled it off."

"I'm glad you came with me," I put an arm around her shoulder and squeeze her arm reassuringly. "I honestly don't know what I would have done without you."

Looking up at me with relief, she offers a small smile. "I'm sure you would have managed, mister creepy telepath."

"I mean it," I reply, staring into her eyes for a moment and almost walking into a wall in the process. Except it's not a wall. It's a person.

"Well well well," a dark skinned girl with bouncy black curls stands in our way, arms crossed. "If it isn't the lovebirds."

My ears begin to redden as I realize how we are walking - my arm around her shoulders and hers around my waist - and the way we were just looking at each other. Maybe the reason I feel so embarrassed is because I'm not willing to admit that I care for her that way. I mean, we just met a week ago.