10

Kevin has his first date with Fogarty on July 4th, smack-dab in the middle of the summer after sophomore year, and, that very day, Jason dies. There's a car crash, or something as stupid and trivial as that, and his death had been instantaneous.

He didn't suffer, the nurses told her. It was fast. In a flash.

She doesn't even get to see his body afterwards. Her mother has him cremated the following day and she keeps his ashes in an expensive cooper urn in her room after the funeral. That entire week is a blur for Cheryl but she remembers a lot of red. Blossom red. Family from all over the country came over to say goodbye and whisper behind Cheryl's back about the good heir, gone and who will inherit the company and Cheryl? Please. Little girl is weak and frail. She can't handle the Blossom company. Sometimes the whisperings come from her own mother, late at night, while Cheryl's pressed to the wall separating their rooms.

She cries a lot. She cries far more than she remembers crying, ever; cries far more than she thought she was able to. She feels... she feels like she's lost a big part of herself — her twin brother, her soulmate. Jason is– was – everything to her. He was kind to her when no one else was, cared for her when no one else did, loved her when her mother told her she was unlovable. And he promised he'd take care of her. He'd promised to protect her forever and ever because that's what soulmates did.

And now he was gone.

Cheryl didn't even say goodbye properly. He'd just announced he was going to the store because Cheryl forgot to buy something for the barbecue and he said Cheryl, do you need anything? And Cheryl said, no, I'm good and that was that.

That's the worst part. Cheryl had gone to the store to get everything they needed for their annual barbecue and Cheryl had forgotten to buy plates, or something, and because of that Jason had to make that extra trip to the store and... died.

So, in a way, it really was Cheryl's fault. Her mother tells her so and, God, her mother is right. She always is.