Chapter 3

The same exact thing that happened with Aston took place.

Water began to fill up the pool. But this time there's no glass covering the top of the pool, after all, I can't fly.

Water is now up to my waist and I'm close to panicking.

No. Don't panic. That's the last thing you want to do when you're in the water. Panicking can be a huge difference between life and death-especially when close to drowning.

Calm down Elsa, calm down.

I need to find a way out.

I look down at the water now up to my shoulders. I can swim up to the surface as the water rises up! It's so obvious!

I take a deep breath as water rises quickly above my head and nearly a minute later I swim to the surface. Right when I get my head above the water I see glass begin to cover the pool.

No. No!

The water is three feet away from the surface that the glass is covering. At least a quarter of the pool is covered now. Right when I start to swim to the glass something grabs my ankle and tugs me down underneath the surface. I look down and see a man dressed in all black, tugging me down deeper. I struggle against his tight grip, attempting to swim to the surface. I can see nearly half the pool is covered now.

I turn back to the man and with my free leg kick him in the head as hard as possible. He keeps his grip, and I can think of only one way to free myself.

But it might also kill me.

I look back up towards the surface just as he touches the very bottom of the pool.

One quarter of uncovered pool left, and it's at the far end of the pool, which is nearly 25 meters away from me.

I turn back to the man and before I can think twice I electrocute him. Bright sparks of electricity shoot in all directions in the wall. Electrocuting me too. I cry out in pain, bubbles escaping my mouth.

The man somehow doesn't die, but his grip is loosened.

I push off of his chest with my feet and swim towards the surface as electricity shoots past me. But he grabs my ankle again and pulls me back down.

I have no time for this, I'm running out of air and I might kill myself if I shoot out electricity in the water again.

But what's the point? No one's going to care if I die anyways. Erik deserted me even though he said that Raven and I were really the only people in the world he cared about-that was obviously a lie. A game of charades.

Raven and I never really talked much, and she seemed...different. Not the loud, giddy, happy friend I had once known. She was edgy now, and nearly the opposite of what she was before she left with Erik that day on the beach near Cuba.

Then there's Charles, who I've lost total contact with all of a sudden. I have no family left either. And I'm going to live forever, why not just kill myself now so I don't have to face eternity and outlive any friends I make in the future?

If there is a future for me.

I electrocute the man with a greater amount of electricity and his grip loosens completely. He slowly drifts away from me and I know for sure he's dead. I push off the bottom and swim as fast as my electrocuted limbs will let me.

Only a few meters left until the glass covers the pool completely. I'm not going to make it.

I attempt to ignore the pain as best I can and push through the water which feels like molasses to me.

I end up reaching the surface nearly a meter before the glass closes.

There's no shallow end to the pool, and the glass is definitely more than an inch thick. When treading water I can't reach the top of it.

I plant my feet on the wall and push off, leaping diagonally towards the glass. I luckily grasp onto the edge of the glass with both hands, barely missing. But the glass is slippery, and I nearly slip off. Now I have just a couple feet left before I get sandwhiched between the glass and the side fof the pool. I haul myself up so now nearly all of my upper body is on top of the moving glass. I outstretch my arms forwards, and push myself up so half of my body is on the glass. I glance back and quickly swing my legs up in the air before the glass can crush them.

I made it.

I roll on my back, breathing heavily, nearly gasping for air.

I hear someone clapping and I sit up and look towards the source of the clapping.

General Landon.

"Congratulations!" He says. "You've passed the test."

"What test?" I stand up.

"Showing how strong you really are." He smirks. "Now come on. We're going to run some tests on your blood." He demands, waiting at the door behind him.

I should have just let myself die.