Chapter 1

Thomas wakes up panting, sweat dripping down his forehead. He looked around and saw nothing, just pure darkness. It felt as if he was moving, moving up, moving down. Who knows. He screamed out for help, but no one heard or know one cared. Where was he? What's going on? Why can't he remember anything? A millions thoughts ran through his head then the lift suddenly came to a stop.

A moment went by and nothing happened, he must've hit the top, or the bottom. Then bright light started shining on him, he looked up and saw the doors to the lift open from above, the light pouring on him. It took a moment for his eyes to against to the sudden light then took a minute to suck the surroundings in.

There were boys, staring down on him. One of the kids looked at him sternly, he looked back at the boy. He had light brown, almost blonde hair and notable eyebrows. He didn't smile, but he also didn't frown. He just looked at the boy then put his hand out for Thomas to grab and pull up with. "Nice to meet ya shank, Welcome to the Glade!"

Thomas looked at the boy, hesitating for a moment then grabbed his hand and pulled up. He looked around, many other boys who looked around the same age crowded around Thomas. He felt a bit overwhelmed. He had no idea what was going on, one moment he was in this lift and the next he's in this strange place. The weirded part is that he couldn't remember anything, except his name. His name was Thomas but that's all he knew.

Thomas stood there still for a moment, not knowing what to do. Who were these boys? Were they safe? Could he trust them? What if they try to eat him-

His thoughts got cut off when another boy came out of the crowd and tried talking to him "Hey, Greenie. Welcome to the Glade." The boy said in a heavy English accent.

Thomas tried to respond but he didn't know how. His throat hurt, who knows how long he was in the lift for. He hadn't tried talking yet, just screaming. He just stared at the boy and the place mouth open, jaw hanging down to the floor.

The boy nodded, he knew exactly what Thomas was going through. He did the same when he first came up the box, they all did. He just let Thomas take a breath and calmed down. The boy suspected he was confused and a little scared. He guessed Thomas couldn't remember anything, none of them did. "Don't worry, we don't bite." The boy said, trying to lighten the mood "I'm Newt, can you remember your name?"

Thomas just stood there, it's like he'd phased out from the world. He tried to nod his head yes, but it seemed to come out as more of a shrug. Then suddenly he just darted away, running from these boys. The one he talked to, Newt, seemed alright but how could he be sure. He just wanted to go home. But what is home? Where is home? He couldn't remember anything.

After running for only a moment he tripped and fell to the grass, face first. He tried to scramble to his feet and stand up but he just tripped again. Now that he was away from the others he had a chance to look at where he was. His eyes darted from place to place as he looked. It was large, grassy and surrounded by some sort of barrier. The large stone walls went up above there heads, it surrounded the whole place. There was an opening in it, maybe it was the way out.

It stumbled up and over to it, he was about to go inside but a hand touched his shoulder and he spun around. It was Newt. "Look, Greenie, I know you're frightened but you can't go in there. It's not safe."

Thomas wanted to protest and just walk in but Newt looked so worried. Almost... scared. Thomas took a step away from the opening and looked at the boy. "What's in there?" He asked in a small, scratchy voice. It was the only words he'd uttered since he got there.

Newt sighed and looked Thomas in the eyes "That's the Maze."