Chapter 3

Thomas laid in his hammock, thinking of the past day that had gone by. He couldn't stop thinking of what Minho had said. The one boy went in the Maze and he never came back. That could mean a million things, but the others probably didn't think of some of them. Maybe he didn't come back because he made it out, maybe.

Thomas sighed and closed his eyes. It took him a long time to fall asleep because the boy in the hammock next to him, Chuck, snored very loudly. Making it impossible to sleep.

He just laid there, lost in his thoughts. But eventually, he drifted to sleep.

That night Thomas had a dream. He was in a meadow and next to him was a girl, a very beautiful girl. She had long black hair and bright blue eyes. But the girl looked upset, she had tears streaming down her face. Then she leaned over onto his shoulder and whispered something in his ear, "Everything's going to change."

She looked into his eyes and he did the same, her eyes were easy to get lost in. She then leaned in and kissed him on the lips. He kissed back but it was nothing special, it felt as if something they'd done a million times before.

Thomas pulled away from the girl and locked eyes with her once more, then she disappeared. The dream seemed to melt away and Thomas sprang up from sleep. He gasped for breath. "What was that?" He whispered to himself.

That day he couldn't stop thinking of the girl and the dream. But the thing was, it didn't feel like a dream. It felt like a memory, from before the Maze.

Thomas walked through the Glade, he saw most of the guys gathered around the box that he had come up in the other day. They were all looking down, eyes wide in shock.

Newt, the boy Thomas had met the other day jumped down into the box to see what it was. Newt looked up at the others, his mouth wide open. "Newt, what's in there?" One of the boys asked.

He looked up at them and sighed "It's a girl," gasps flew over the crowd. Newt glanced at the girl once more "She's dead."