Have you seen the paper?

Chaos.

There was no other word to describe the crowded intensity of a city like Alexandria. People, animals, carriages, all moving to their own purpose. Spice sellers next to perfume merchants. Produce markets down the street from bakeries. All made heavier by the humid sea air that cut through the stone buildings and dirt streets. The vibrant assault of scents and sounds blended as effortlessly as the ages.

Farouk made his way along one of the ancient city ruins, between modern business men trying to sell their wares to people from many cultures. Only meters from ancient ruins, in the shadow of mosques and fortresses built by the Muslims through the centuries, yet still modern. Well, as modern as the Europeans would admit to.

The British had recently declared themselves protectors of his homeland, and with it came a rise in the number of British troops and officers around the bustling city. Their views of Alexandria, Egypt as a backward and exotic city full of urchins hiding treasures to be exploited, irritated the young Egyptian man as it did with many of his country men, increasing tensions between the cultures.

He viewed his people and their history with pride. The accomplishments of millenia. The great civilizations and powers of his people through strength of will and the harsh grit of determination.

It was a power and gift that others had always sought to control.

Everyone from the Hittites to the Greeks and Romans, the Turks, French and finally the British had sought to control his people.

He, more than anyone, recognized the history.

The desire to see his people rise once again in defiance and strength.

The reality of servitude under centuries of foreign rule.

He ground his teeth as he passed another group of British soldiers. He could be polite. Reminder after reminder, he held his tongue as he walked toward the home of the British archaeologist that he sought.

"Dr. Charles!" He called out. Working with the Archaeologist had granted Farouk more access to the knowledge of what had been found and where items went. Each piece that left Egyptian land took a small part of his soul with it. Yet, he couldn't ignore it. He couldn't turn his back and not know. Truthfully, Dr. Charles Raymond was one of the few who did not wish to destroy the history of Egypt. He was a good man who had earned the Egyptians respect and friendship.

"Calm down boy, what seems to be the matter?" Charles poked his head out of his study. His grey hair skewed in various directions. Farouk almost commented on the obvious signs of the man's lack of having gone to bed, yet again. However, his urgency pushed him toward his goal.

"Have you seen the paper?" Farouk tossed the day's newspaper toward him.

Charles pulled his spectacles from his pocket. "Let's see now... The Al-Ahram daily paper. You know it's a good thing that I can read Arabic with the way you throw things at me." Charles chidded good naturedly. Farouk tried not to snap at his friend for the delay. "Good lord! Is it really the third of November already? Oh, dear, is it 1883 now? What happened to 1882? My, how time flies."

"The headlines. Read the headlines." Farouk groaned.

Charles chuckled and shook his head. "You are far too easy to rile up."

Farouk sighed, though he watched with anticipation as he could see the surprise and interest creep along the older man's face.

"Now, that is quite the headline." He breathed out. "I'm assuming that you would like to take a trip south?"

Farouk nodded. He could have left already. However, without Charles to write him credentials, he would have no authority to step onto an active archaeology site.

Charles sat down. "Yes, I do believe a trip to Upper Egypt is in order. I should have heard about this before the paper. Scoundrels for not notifying the British Office first." He continued to read over the article. "How utterly fascinating." He mumbled. "Did you see this part? That the two mummies were found to be positioned in an embrace? And the female appears to be Greek, but mummified by the old Egyptian practices?"

Yes, Farouk had read it all. And he needed to get there as fast as possible.