Chapter 17: Fucking Wonderful

A/N: iSpy peeps from Step Ups 1-5! :D

2 Weeks Later

Dinah's POV

When I walked into the dance studio, the other dancers stopped talking and stared at me. No doubt, they'd already heard the news about my demotion. I settled myself in the back, isolating myself from everyone, and tried to ignore the smug smirks and murmurs echoing throughout the studio. But as I stretched, I felt my face heat up with anger and humiliation.

Thankfully, at that moment, my phone vibrated.

From Smallz: Are you there yet?

To Smallz: Yeah.

To Smallz: When're you coming? The spawns of Satan are staring at me.

From Smallz: I'm on my way with the new director. Should be there in 10.

To Smallz: How's she?

From Smallz: Surprisingly nice.

From Smallz: Actually, too nice. Bet the spawns of Satan will get her fired too.

To Smallz: I hope not for her sake.

From Smallz: You never know with that Cassie bitch. She's the one that turned everyone against you, you know? She's the one that told people to quit and interrupt you and show up late. Doesn't have a life so she starts drama for no reason. Thinks she's the shit cuz her dad's on the board of directors for the production house.

From Smallz: God, I fucking hate nepotism. If it were up to me, I'd slap that hoe silly.

To Smallz: Ally Brooke, your language is astonishing these days.

From Smallz: Cassie brings out the worst in me. Forgive me, Jesus. [folded hand emoji]

From Smallz: Anyway, we just parked. See you soon!

A minute later, Ally was leading our new director to the front of the dance studio. I gaped at them in shock. Our new director was none other than my old dance partner, Normani Kordei.

Kordei. Kordeination. New York.

"Hello everyone!" Normani said brightly, "You guys can move closer, you know? I won't bite. Well, not yet anyway."

Polite laughter broke through the room and everyone bunched up near the front. Everyone, except me. I skulked near the back, hoping Normani wouldn't see me.

I hated seeing people that I used to know. I hated comparing their successful careers to my non-existent one. I was a failure, the pitiful story that people used to feel good about themselves. That's all my life had turned out to be.

"My name is Normani and I will be your new director for the next 6 months. Longer if our show becomes successful enough. Which I think is a safe bet to make cuz I don't put on unsuccessful shows," Normani said confidently.

"Damn. I like you better than our old director already," Cassie said deliberately, knowing that I was still somewhere in the crowd. Nervous laughter broke out among the dancers and many of them glanced towards me to see my humiliated reaction.

Idiots.

"Oh, I assure you that you will hate me by the end cuz I expect nothing but the best from my dancers," Normani said bluntly without looking around, "Speaking of which. I will be evaluating each of you individually to get an idea of your strengths and weaknesses. Each of you will be called up randomly to perform an improv piece in front of me and all your peers. 10 people will go today. 10 tomorrow. 10 the day after. And so forth till all 50 of you have gone."