Prologue

We swore to the heavens that we would be together for a lifetime and will only let death separate us.

We promised our parents that we will give each other amazing lives; that we will work together and cherish our moments.

We told our daughter that we will be the best parents for her.

We promised all that. But we never made them true.

Because of what she sees about me. That I wasn't "enough anymore."

Watching her put all her clothes in that huge luggage made my heart break drastically. Our 16-year-old daughter, Hera, watched her leave our prestigious apartment in silence. She didn't cry when she learned about our divorce. She probably was in the age that made her understand the situation.

My ex-wife took one long look at us before she shut the door behind her.

And as soon as she did, I fell to the floor and cried. It was my fault, wasn't it? It's because of how bland and plain and boring I am that she found no thrill in having me in her life. I felt so broken because the woman who I loved for almost two decades left me. Her parents will hate me for sure.

Hera approached me and wrapped me in her arms. The way she comforts is similar to how her mother comforts me.

"I'm sorry for making you lose your mother, Hera," I told her as my tears dropped on her shirt. It took her a few seconds before she responded.

"She's not my mother. Not anymore. From now on, she is a nobody to me...and to you. She is nobody but Venice Genesis Young. And she is not your wife."

As she said those clever words, I cried even more. Hera has this talent. She makes you open your eyes to reality in a way that is neither harsh or gentle. I hugged her tighter. I was thankful that she chose to stay with me. When she was asked by the judge of whom she will live with, she immediately answered me.

"I..I will take care of you, Hera. And I will give you a beautiful life." I swore. "You always took care of me since the day you carried me in you arms," she said, making me cry harder.

This beautiful gem of a daughter that I have needs love. And I can give it to her even without Venice.

***
Cover credits to: Joahna Litana