six.

forelsket

"You ever been in love?" Agnes heard Sodapop ask from where he was sitting on the roof of her car. She looked back at him from the bush where she was picking off the bright pink flowers.

"Yeah, sure." The way she said it made Sodapop chuckle. She sounded so nonchalant like it didn't matter at all, the way she felt.

"You don't sound too thrilled about it. End badly?"

She chuckled, picking off the thorns and sticking one of the roses in her ear. "No. It was great."

"What happened?" He had it in his head that she ran away from places when she started getting close to people. It made him nervous but he also had it in his head that maybe he'd be the one to make her stay.

"He was from Mississippi. You ever been to Mississippi?"

"I've barely been out of Tulsa."

She chuckled and spun around, making her skirt rise and fall whenever she'd stop. "You get to Mississippi and it's like you time traveled back fifty years. He wasn't too keen on leaving, though, and I knew I wasn't stayin' there." She made her way back to the car, leaning her elbow on the hood and staring up at the boy above her. "You look like the type who never falls in love. Who needs love when you've got a face like that?"

"Oh man," he chuckled sheepishly, a faint blush finding its way onto his face. "I've been in love. I was only in love once because I only had eyes for her when I met her."

"What happened there? Time, distance, or infidelity?"

"Distance. She moved to Florida."

Agnes smiled, "Florida. Florida is real weird but nice. Quirky kinda weird." He didn't respond, he didn't know if he was meant to nor did he know how he would. "You still love her?"

"Well, yeah. I don't think I'd wanna be with her, she clearly didn't wanna be with me no more, but I do love her."

"She must've been a real doll." He silently agreed and she wondered what she looked like, if she had bright blonde hair or if she wore a lot of makeup. Maybe no makeup, maybe black hair. She didn't know why she thought about it so long. She wondered if Sodapop was thinking about the guy she told him about. "How old are you anyway?"

"Eighteen. Eighteen and a half if you count that stuff."

"October." He looked at her confused, asking her what she meant. "You were born in October. There's no way you're a Scorpio so I'm gonna say you were born early October." He looked at her confused and she chuckled, "I stayed with a very spiritual family a while back."

"Where all have you been?"

She looked up, tapping her nails on the car before standing up. "Um, Atlanta, Miami, Tallahassee, couple of South Carolina towns, Raleigh, the Mayberry-like town," he lost track of all the places, amazed. He felt a little insecure like she would find him boring. "Something wrong?"

"Hm?" He snaps back and looks at her, "No, nothing."

"I'm sorry, I guess I bored you."

"No, I like hearing you talk. You get real excited when you mention a town you like."

"How long are you plannin' on bein' here?"

She shrugged, "It's pretty nice here if it weren't for the class wars that I been noticin'."

"Yeah, they ain't supposed to be hurtin' nobody. We're having a rumble Saturday."

"Really?" He nodded and she just thought of this guy in a fight. He seemed much to nice to fight but she also saw what the rich looking guys did to his brother. Fighting must've been a custom around Tulsa. "A rumble seems like a primeval way of solving the problem."

"Whatever that means, if it gets the job done it's fine by me." She chuckled and rolled her eyes. Sitting on the grass, she reached out her arms and motioned for Soda to join her on the ground, which he did before questioning, "What're you doin' on the ground?"

"I'm sittin'." She grabbed his hands and they were just sitting there for what seemed like hours. Agnes showed him some of the hand clapping games she was accustomed to and Sodapop let her beat him a couple times in thumb wrestling. She never once felt uncomfortable with him, probably because he always kept his distance just to be safe and he was extra careful.

She really wanted to leave; then again she couldn't help but want to stay.

i rlly like agnes, and i rlly like sodapop too