Ch3: Time Heals

Chapter 3: Time Heals

Chapter Summary: Story picks up three months after the disastrous date. Time has a way of healing old wounds, except when it doesn't.

+++o+ Fast Forward Almost Three Months +o+++

Early May 2018

"I know I shouldn't say this...but I kinda love when your husband goes out of town on business," Tris says with a huge smile. She takes a sip of wine and then takes a bite out of one of the chocolate covered strawberries that Christina made for them to share.

Tris lost her roommate when Christina and Will married the month before, but she has not been in any hurry to find someone else to rent out the second room in her apartment. Will has traveled for work twice since tying the knot, which the best friends took advantage of by having a sleepover at Tris's place. Sadly, Will's work trips are always on "school nights," so it was always a tame evening as each of the young women had an early day at the office the following morning. But it was still nice to enjoy a dinner and a quick movie.

"Don't let him hear you say that!" Tris's best friend chuckles before finishing off her last glass of wine.

"You know I love Will, you did good with him. He is a great guy." Tris then smiles sadly. "But I do miss having you as a roommate."

Christina studies her for a moment before frowning and getting up to wash out her glass. She wasn't planning on broaching the subject again, but Tris had already witnessed the look on her face.

Following her best friend into the kitchen with the plate of strawberries, she sits at the counter and watches Christina clean up.

"Now I feel bad, Christina. I know you would tell me if I upset you. I was completely kidding about being happy that your husband travels for work, I mean... you are my best friend, like a sister. I am so happy that you have Will-"

Christina sighs loudly before turning to face her best friend. "Of course I know you were kidding about Will; I wasn't frowning because of that. Look, let's just drop it. I don't want to argue on girl's night."

Frowning, Tris shrugs. "You know, it will be ten times worse if you don't just tell me what you are thinking about. My imagination will run wild."

"I don't want to have another debate about some dude I don't even know, but I just can't help but feel like you are still so sad about Tobias," Christina starts, frowning at the way Tris flinches at the mention of his name. "Ok, never mind. I'm sorry I mentioned him. Let's drop it."

"What do you want me to say? I told you already what happened. The guy was kissing his EX in the middle of our date, just after he had his tongue in my mouth!" Tris snaps, her stomach instantly in knots.

Damn it, I hate how the mere mention of his name still upsets me so much. It's ridiculous that he still has this effect on me.

Pathetic even.

"I know! I know what happened, but I also know that you didn't even let him speak in order to hear what he had to say to explain it. And then you immediately cut all ties with him. They guy literally has no possible way to find you," Christina points out. She saw how crushed Tris was after her date with SexyWolf, but as the days went on and the girls discussed and analyzed in painful detail what had happened... Christina couldn't ignore her gut; she felt it was at least a possibility that Tris was making a mistake.

Christina continues, "All I can say is that your connection with him online was so strong. What if he is the right guy for you? Why not just hear what he has to say, and then decide?"