Chapter. 2 | Lacuna

ləˈkjuːnə: an unfilled space; a gap.

"What are you doing here?" he grabbed my wrist tightly and asked.

His deep voice gave me goosebumps all over my body.
His stare seem to reach down into my soul.
My heart was racing and all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and wait for someone to save me. But no one would, no one was there.

I collected my courage and made eye contact with him.
I was taken away for a second. He had attractive features. He was tall and had broad shoulders. His brown, thick and lustrous hair was slightly covered with his black hoodie. His plump red lips really stood out from his pale skin. Not to mention, his body looked fit and healthy.

He looked at me impatiently for an answer.

"I-I was trying t-to study out there, but your m-music was very distracting" I stuttered.

His grip on my wrist got looser.
I sighed in relief.

"I'll turn down the volume then" he said, with no emotions at all.

That was really kind of him, I thought. This was easier than I thought.
I thanked him before I ran up with a satisfied smile.

As I was walking up the stairs the man's voice stopped me.

"Oi" his deep voice shouted behind me.

I turned around, looking at him from above.

"Are you going to study out there at this time?" He asked, he sounded very confused.

I nodded.
"Yeah" I replied.

"I don't think that's a good idea" he said.

I started getting a little worried now. I frowned my eyebrows.

"I hope that you're aware of how dangerous this area is, especially when there's cute girls like you out here" he said. A smirk grew on his attractive face.

Did he just flirt with me? Why is he so concerned about me?
All these questions were wandering inside my mind.

The vibe between both of us didn't feel so nice to me.
My hands started trembling as I started to imagine the worst scenarios that could possibly happen.

He didn't look like the pervert type, but never judge a book by it's cover.
I mentally put in my ear plugs and find a reason to leave, any excuse will do.

There was a moment of silence before the boy started laughing.

"Relax, I was just joking" he said and pointed at my shocked face. He let out  a shy smile.

His soft lips stretched into a smile but didn't quite reach his dark eyes. They were lit with sadness, and the forced expression of the contrary on his mouth would have looked comical to me if it didn't make my heart feel heavy. For a few moments I stared at him, almost sure his expression mirrored mine.

A smile that just seems so genuinely sweet but suspicious at the same time.

"What's your name, by the way?" he asked and smiled brightly.

For some reason my mind went blank, as if I was put under a spell by him.
I could see his perfectly white teeth even from the distance.
I mentally slapped myself.
Without saying anything to the boy, I turned around and walked away.

The boy was left in the dark, completely speechless.
Why did she just leave like that? He asked himself.

Maybe everyone are bound to leave me. Maybe that's my fate, he thought as his eyes got teary.
When all he want is a hand to hold or an arm about his shoulders and none comes, the world becomes cold and empty.