Day 1- Strike

Corbin stepped out and looked around. They were outside, yes. The momentary excitement he had felt shattered when he saw the tall fence that was lined with barbed wire. Seven layers to be exact. It curved over them like a looming monster.

"Yeah, we did make it outside," Corbin said glumly. "We still aren't free."

"We can climb the fence," Elvyne offered. Corbin laughed wryly. "Go ahead. You can slice your head off with that wire."

"Wire..." Becca said slowly. "We have wire cutters! Sol, give me a boost and I'll clip a hole." Solomon shrugged his shoulders. "Alright." Becca pulled the cutting pliers from her pocket. "Ok, how should I- whoa!"

Solomon bent down and picked her up like she weighed nothing. He walked her to the fence and she grabbed the top of the wood. "Pull yourself up a bit," Solomon said. Becca did so and Solomon wrapped his arms around her knees to support her. Becca held the top of the fence with one hand the wire cutters with another.

Elvyne and Corbin looked on with nervous attention. "Maybe you shouldn't do this," Elvyne said quietly.

Becca blew a strand of hair off her face. "It's going to be fine. I just need to-" She reached out with her left hand to hold the first wire. Right as her hand made contact, there was a loud crack. Becca stiffened. There was a zapping noise from down the wire. Solomon yelled and collapsed. Becca fell right on top of him, both unconscious. 

"It was an electric fence!" Elvyne gasped. "Are they dead?" Corbin bent down next to them. Their chests were still rising up and down. He shook both of them hard. "Guys?" There was a rattling noise from a door connected to the house. Elvyne grabbed Corbin's arm. "She's coming!"

Corbin looked up right as the door opened. Granny filled the doorway. Corbin grabbed Elvyne and ran into the shed. He pushed her in and he jumped in after. As he ducked down, Granny grabbed his shirt, nails scraping against his skin. He screamed as she hauled him out of the hole. 

"Hide Elvyne!" he yelled at the top of his lungs before the bat made contact with his head.

***

Elvyne scurried down the tunnel. All she wanted was to get back to the bedroom. As she emerged back in the basement, she became confused. How did she get back? She didn't remember. There were stairs so Elvyne took her chances. She ran up them, not caring that her feet echoed in the cold basement. She tripped on the top stair. She looked up and saw the stairs leading up to the bedroom.

 She looked up and saw the stairs leading up to the bedroom

She stumbled across the front room. Her foot caught something and a bell rang. She followed the sound up the wall. Fishing line was across the floor and trailed up the wall. A small bell was attached.

A door from the kitchen opened and slammed shut. Elvyne was shaking so bad she could barely make it up the stairs. She gasped in huge breaths, nearly hysterical. Nails digging into the worn wood, she crawled from the top of the stairs, into the bedroom. Her heart was beating in her ears.

She stood up and ran across the small room and dove under the bed. Elvyne cowered in the far corner, hoping she wasn't seen. She never looked out in the hours she was under the bed. Eventually, to the sound of Granny pacing the house, she fell into an exhausted sleep.