(The Last Day)

Tobias looked around the corner. "This is nuts," he muttered.

"Which part?" Madison asked. "The fact we might escape?"

Tobias laughed. "No, the fact that we're being targeted by a murderous grandma." He watched Granny turn into the room at the end of the stairs. Becca had said it was the kitchen.

"It's good," he said. The three of them crept out the room and down the stairs. Becca grabbed Tobias's shoulders. "Look down," she whispered. He did so and saw an evil looking metal contraption.

"Bear trap," Madison said. They all stepped over it continued to the basement.

"I hope this works," Becca said, desperation edging into her words.

"How long have you been here?" Tobias asked her.

"Well, I've maxed out my five days."

"But how long? As in real days?"

"It feels like... maybe three weeks."

"Three weeks?" Tobias said in surprise. They turned into the basement.

"Or so," Becca shrugged. She cocked her head. "I got taken on September 4. What day is it today?"

Tobias had to think but said, "It's the last day of September. The 30th."

Becca sighed but didn't say anything. They walked down the steps into the garage. There was a clattering noise and the three of them jumped.

A head poked up from the hood the car. She yelped and ducked down.

"Wait, that's the girl that saved me!" Madison exclaimed. Becca stared at where the girl had disappeared. "Is that..."

Tobias poked Becca. "Do we need to hide or something?"

Becca nodded. "Get in the car." Tobias ran to the front of the car where the girl was hiding. She covered her face. Tobias picked her up with ease, opened the car door and dumped her in. All the while she covered her face.

Madison jumped in after her. Becca threw open the locker at the bottom of the stairs and hid in it. Tobias looked around the room for somewhere to hide.

"Get in the car!" Becca hissed.

"I don't think I'll fit," he said. "Granny will see me then take the girls too." He ran to a wooden door and opened it. It was a sauna. He closed the door behind him and crouched down behind the bench.

They waited in silence. Tobias tried to control his breathing. The sauna door slowly opened.

"I see you."

Tobias jumped up and grabbed the old woman. She screamed as she went down. Tobias shook her and tried to crawl over her. Granny clawed his shirt and held him. The bat lifted up behind Tobias's head and came down with a thud.

***

Madison winced at the thump. She knew Tobias was down. Through back window of the car, she watched Granny drag the unconscious body out of the sauna and up the stairs. When Granny left, Madison turned to the girl. "Are you okay?" she asked.

The girl nodded. Becca ducked her head into the passenger side door. "Miranda is that you?"

The lifted her head. "Yes," she whispered. She laughed. "I'm sorry I've been hiding from you. Solomon was scaring me and I didn't know if you were on his side or not."

"You're the one that saved me from him," Madison said. Miranda nodded. "I had been watching him and making sure he didn't hurt any of you." She crawled out of the car. She pointed to the engine of the car. "I've been trying to fix the car up so we can escape with a ride."