Swift Darkness: chapter two

I wake up with the sight of the clock flashing 10:28 A.M. and the smell of eggs frying in the kitchen. Meredith was sitting next to me on the arm of the couch while Olivia was sitting on some of the boxes.

"Well good morning," Ed strides out of the kitchen with a plate after he notices me awake, "you're up late, aren't you?" He chuckles and sits down next to me, almost on top of my feet.

"It's not my fault, we fell asleep at one, Ed," I exclaim with a small smile, "and I couldn't sleep well, I had some bad dreams..."

Ed see's my smile fade at this remark and his vanishes as well.

"What about? Are you ok?"

"I'm fine Ed, but they really scared me. There was something so menacing about them," I look up at his worried face and hesitate to continue. "It was terrifying. I was in the apartment, and the bathtub...." I start to choke up now. "It had gallons of blood inside of it. There was a person Ed. Inside the bathtub."

His face looked pale. Will he think I'm insane, being so scared of just a dream?

His hair was fiery under the morning light and the curls bounced slightly while he talked.

"It's okay. It was just a dream. There's nothing to be afraid of-"

He got cut of at the sound of someone knocking on my door.

Knock knock knock

My foot touched the cold laminate and I walked toward the door. Through the peep hole I saw an envelope on the floor, but not a person in sight. I gasped as I slowly reached up to unlock the door, sliding the rusty lock out of its place and opening the door.

The envelope was pure white with curly red letters written on it, the letters forming my name.

Ed showed up next to me as I sat on the couch and I could feel his breath on the back of my neck as I slowly opened the delicate envelope to reveal a letter.

"Dear Ms. Swift..." I read aloud, "We are sorry to inform you we need to have a meeting about your apartment. There seems to be an issue we need to discuss, specifically in person. Unfortunately I am out this month so next week we are going to have to meet, at the Red Drum Cafe perhaps? It's a few miles away and it's usually a quiet place. I'm sorry if this comes as a disturbance, but please call me at 555-328-6676. Thank you.

Sincerely, Mrs. Dyar."

Ed takes the letter to read himself and sighs.

"Are you going to call," He asks, "are you sure it's a good idea?"

I contemplate this for a minute and decide.

"Yeah but not today. Let's work on unpacking the boxes. I haven't even finished setting up the plates in the kitchen..."

Ed smashed his lips against mine with my surprise. "Are you sure," he pouts, "can't we do anything else?"

"Ed," I giggle and give him a peck on the lips, "we need to work."

"Alright, but maybe some other time."

And with that he leisurely walks to the kitchen table and unpacks my microwave.