Swift darkness: chapter 7

I spent about half an hour getting ready for my meeting, it's not like I had to spend too long getting ready. I just needed to brush my hair and put on some makeup.

My phone buzzed and I read the notification; one text from Ed.

Hey, I know you have the 'meeting' soon, good luck.

I smiled and typed a quick reply,

Thanks, I'll need it :) it's also a strip club, not just a bar :/

I have to go, bye love :)

Bye

I grab my purse while going out the apartment and get a cab before the paparazzi comes to snap a few pictures.

*****

When I reach the bar it is notably not cafe as Mrs.Dyar said, but I already figured this out because of my research. It was about three o'clock, and Mrs.Dyar never called back like she said she would to tell me the time, but today was the day I was supposed to come. It was a long drive from my apartment to here so I tried to leave around noon.

I walked into the bar that had a set of stages with gleaming poles in the middle of them. The girls had little clothing with seven inch heals, which must've been uncomfortable for their job.

I walk up to the bartender who had two sleeves of tattoos, giving me an image of Ed.

"Excuse me, is their a Mrs.Dyar?"

The man gives a skeptical look but before he can answer a middle aged woman at the bar holding a cigarette above an ashtray says "Here I am, let's go talk."

She walks behind a curtain and leads me to a small office with a desk that can barely fit and a small set of worn down cabinets. I sit carefully on the old couch near the desk which looks like it was mauled by a pack of bears with stuffing sticking out and leather peeling of every corner.

"Mrs.Dyar-"

"Call me Lily, Taylor. I'm sorry for the location but it's the only place I could think of. My brother is the bartender and this is his office, considering he owns the bar." She takes a small breath and looks up at me with a sad look in her face, from her eyes to her pursed lips. "I, on the other hand, am the manager of the apartments you live in, and something happened their we need to inform you of."

"Mrs.Dyar- Lily- what are you talking about?" I have about a million thoughts swarming my mind, none of them good.

"Taylor, I'm sad to tell you a woman was brutally murdered in that apartment, about twenty-seven years ago."

I felt my vision go black around the edges, and I got sick feeling. Murdered? In my apartment? "That can't be right, it's not possible. What?" The room was spinning, and I felt like I was on a teacup ride. I sat up but felt her hands on my shoulders pressing me down.

"Taylor, you need to listen to me," she said strictly. "A girl lived in that apartment years before and somebody broke in. The man who killed her was executed but the last person to live there, and the only one until you, said bad things were happening in that apartment. Is anything happening?"

"Yes... But that's not possible I have to go I'm sorry," I say. "I thought this was going to be a serious meeting about my rent or something, not this." I knew it was real, and I knew what she was saying was true but I could believe it. Why should I? I stood up to leave but stayed in the office when I pushed open the curtain after seeing a man receive a lap dance from one of the strippers. I stepped back into the office and sat down on the old couch.

"Tell me everything I need know," I say confidently, "and I'll tell you what I already know."