05

0 5 | P R O M I S E

march 2019

we have a volleyball game today against UB. since i am new, i don't know how great players UB has. my teammates have told me that they're all very great and that makes me feel intimidated.

the game starts at 7 pm and it's already 5. i am currently in the cafeteria with benjamin, he's eating merienda. i don't have any appetite to eat right now.

it's been a really tough day for me; we did an oral presentation in literature, gym class was hella tiring, we did our proposal defense for our research in social science, i practiced earlier with my classmates for our theatre presentation this friday and lastly, we had a surprise test in mathematics and i just failed. nice day.

"the heck, victoria. i've been talking for five minutes straight and you're not listening pala? damn i just wasted my voice and saliva there," benjamin demands and i roll my eyes, i crossed my arms on the table and rested my head on it.

i felt his hand above my head, "hey, are you alright? if it's because of your failed score on math earlier, you know it's fine. we all fail but we will suc–" i raise my head to look at him, "it's not just that, pastor benjamin."

"then what?" he asks and eats a spoonful of his salad. i sigh, and told him everything that happened the whole day. he gulped his food first before speaking, "woah, that must be really, really tough day for you."

"yea and i haven't eaten lunch earlier because of our theatre practice." i say out of blue and he cock his head on me, "what? i told you not to skip meals, diba? you still have a game later, you should eat."

i shake my head and lean on the wall. we're sitting at the end of the cafeteria, "no, i'm fine, benjamin." i lie because actually, i am really hungry but i don't just have the appetite to eat. he pouts, "kahit kaunti lang, please? have you forgotten about your condition? you have gastritis! it might get worse, like, ulcer or stomach cancer!"

"cancer agad?" i scoff and he rolls his eyes, finishing his salad. i grab his coffee and take a sip, he glares at me. "drinking coffee even though you haven't eaten anything yet. way to go, eva."

i bit my lip, putting back his coffee on the table. "sorry," i whisper and he sighs. he stands up, "i'm going to my baseball practice na, let's go." he declares and i stand up, following him.

he walked me to the gymnasium before he head to the baseball field, "watch the game, ha! he might be there." i say befor he leave. he shrugs, "if we're gonna finish early." then runs away.

around 6:30, the gymnasium starts to get filled with students from both BISM and UB. the opponent team was at the other locker room, some of my friends in the team introduced me to their friends from the opposing school. they're kind, in fairness.

we're here in the court, warming up. i kinda feel dizzy, though. maybe because i haven't eaten anything yet. sigh, i should've eaten earlier.

"yo, eva, are you alright?" andie, my friend, approaches me when she sees me. i nod, massaging my temples. "yes, ands. i'm just a little dizzy, but i can handle this. don't worry about me,"

she hesitates at first but she just nodded. she was about to leave when i grab her wrist; everything starts to get blurry and my head starts to ache so bad. "eva, hey, what's up?" andie starts to panick and my body starts to get weak.

i heard her scream for help before i blacked out.

-----

i open my eyes getting greeted by the white ceiling of the room. i'm not dumb so i assume i'm in the clinic. i felt something holding my hand so i look on my right and see benjamin, sleeping.

i shake his body slightly, "wake up, mofo." i say in a low voice and he quickly raises his head. and as quick as thunder, his arms are wrapped around me, "thank God, you're awake. i was so worried about you!"

"how long have i been asleep?" i ask and he looks at his phone, "two hours," he replies and i made a face. "weird. i usually wake up thirty minutes after i black out." i mutter and he's just looking at me.

i glare at him, "what?"

"i told you to eat earlier, diba? but you refused. look what happened, eva victoria." he says with a stern tone and i roll my eyes, "now what? it's not part of your job as my fake boyfriend, benjamin."

"i know. it's just.." he pauses and i wait for him to continue. he groans, leaning on the chair, "nevermind. just promise me you won't make me worry about you again." he declares and i laugh.

"benjamin, promises are so gasgas na."

"i don't care. just promise me," he replies, showing off his left pinky. i giggle, locking my right pinky with his, "i'm telling you, i suck at promises. but okay, i promise."