Chapter Five

She kept a steady pace as she approached the desk. The taste of coffee still lingered in her mouth for she had downed almost five cups in the past hour. The Detective only went home to shower and change. After that she had come straight back. The man behind the desk lifted his eyes when Meredith tapped his desk. Around them people walked in both directions. There footsteps loud against the floor.

- "Where are they?" She asked him.

He grabbed some papers and slowly stared to flip through them.

- "Smith and Davies are still in the holding cells but the girls lawyer has been bugging me all night. They want her released."

- "That won't happen. I'll send Molly here, she'll help you come up with an excuse. Do not release anyone until a tell you otherwise." She told him with her hands flat against the desk.

- "As you wish."

- "The other two?"

- "We did what you asked. Woke them in the middle of the night. They've been in the interrogation rooms ever since. You should have seen they're faces. There as scared as anyone gets."

- "Good, scared people tend to talk a lot." She turned an began to walk down the hallway. "Thanks for your help." Added the Detective.

- "It's my job."

She found Daniel Jones leaning on the table, his hands holding his head, a cup between his arms. His eyes shot up as soon as he noticed her presence.

- "What's going on? Why am I here?"

Meredith ignored all of his questions and took her time. She slowly took a seat and opened the folder she had been carrying.

- "Could you just please, answer me!" He slammed his hands against the table. The sound made even louder thanks to the the cuffs. She had instructed that they where never taken of him.

Her fingers closed around one of the photos and she pushed it towards him.

- "Have you seen this car, Daniel?" She asked him.

He visibly tensed.

- "I...I don't know."

- "Well, let me help you. It's Morgan Davies car. I'm pretty sure you know him since your friends and all."

- "He's not...he's Amelia's friend, not mine."

Meredith ignored him.

- "Do you know where we found this? Abandoned a few miles away from the beach house in which you stayed. The curios thing though is what we found..."

- "Why would a care?" He said interrupting her.

She smiled at him.

- "Oh, you should care. As a matter of fact you should be scared right know. We found your fingerprints in the car. A car in which  we found Hailey's blood and hair." She leaned closer. "That's right. Hailey Smith, your best friend. The one with whom yo where seen fighting outside the house. Did you get to angry?"

- "Get out!" He screamed at her as he stood up with force causing his chair to fall over. "Leave me be! Get out!"

His screams only grabbed attention. The officer that had been posted in front of the door walked in. He subdued the teen and forced him back into his seat. There where tears streaming down his face. He leaned his forehead on the metal table and refused to lock up. Suddenly a feeling of pity rose in her chest.

- "Daniel, there's still time. You can make things right. Tell me what you know and I promise I will try to help you."

Despite's her words he din't look up.

- "I din't want to he...he forced me."

The Detective froze at his words.

- "Who? Just give me a name."

Just as he opened his mouth the door to the room opened. In stepped a woman carrying a suitcase.

- "Mr. Jones, don't say another word." The woman approached him putting a hand on his shoulder and then turned her attention to Meredith. "My client will not go through any further questioning. You have traumatized him enough. We will be leaving now."

Meredith pulled another paper from the folder. The finger prints found on the car and offered it to the lawyer as she stood up.

- "I have enough prove to hold him here for a couple of days so good luck with that."

A few minutes later she found herself in another interrogation room this time in the presence of a person that was way to calm. Besides Matthew sat his lawyer, an old men that glared at the Detective as soon as she had walked into the room.

- "I know what your going to ask." Said Matthew when she took a seat. "Tom heard some murmuring. Yes my finger prints where on Morgan's car. It was a prank. Daniel and I wanted him to freak out so we hid it for a couple of hours. It was just the day before it got stolen."

- "Mr. Allen, do yo seriously expect me to believe that?" Asked Meredith in a harsh tone.

- "I will be leaving soon so I don't care what you believe or not."

- "Mr. Allen..."

- "I don't know where Hailey is. She was my girlfriend, why would I hurt her?" He din't let her finish.

- "Was?"

- "Excuse me?"

- "You said "was my girlfriend". She isn't anymore?" She asked him, watching his every move.

Anger flared in his eyes.

- "You should stop accusing me you know? A have a very powerful family. You don't want me to hold a grudge against you so..." His lawyer gripped his arm but he din't stop. "I suggest you let me go. You don't know with who your playing."

The Detective stood up slowly accepting the fact that he wasn't going to talk any time soon. She left the room without another word.

- "Molly," She said into the phone as soon as she got to the lobby. "Make up whatever you need to. Those lawyers cannot get them out of here."

What she hadn't known was that there was no necessity to make up anything to keep them there. For the truth that she had been looking for was just around the corner. Waiting to be acknowledged so it could claim its revenge. Waiting to take does those that kept her locked.