Be Safe- present day

"What part of 'do not follow me to my room' don't you understand?" Called Alec, a glass of newly poured whisky sloshing in his right hand as he focussed his attention on the window.

"I'm sorry," a small voice spoke. Liliana emerged from the doorframe, her eyes sullen and somewhat tired. "I couldn't help myself."

"I must say, Liliana, I'm not in the mood." He warned, taking a swig of his drink before placing it down on the wooden window frame and frowning off into the distance. "I've done enough for you and your sisters so leave me be with my drink, ok?"

"For once in your life can you just think of someone else other than yourself?" She snapped, suddenly filled with great anger and resentment.

"Me?" He smirked. "You're calling me selfish?"

"Yes, Alec, I am. And for once in your life can you just accept it?"

Alec paused, recollecting his thoughts, and turned to face his intruder. She stood there against the open door, her posture elegant and natural with an angelic aura radiating off of her but now Alec saw through that glow. He could see her red, tiresome eyes, her translucent complexion and he could almost hear the exhausted tone that lay flat in her voice. He could see that life had not become easier for her once he had left.

"You look nice in your new clothes," he stated, quickly attempting to change the subject.

A single tear had rolled down her cheek and Liliana hastily wiped it away with her hand. "Oh uhm, thank you. I still prefer the dresses though. I guess it must remind me of the old days, before things became complicated."

Alec watched as she frowned, caught up in her own memories and thoughts.

"You all did look stunning in your gowns that evening." He grinned, almost playfully, to ease the tension.

That earned a half hearted, watery smile from Liliana. "I guess we did."

Slowly, the space between them closed and they locked eyes in the silence.

"Ale-" she started but couldn't finish.

Without realising, she had begun to cry. Her vision blurred and tears trickled down her rosy face, leaving streaky stains down her reddened cheeks.

"I-I just want her to be safe, Alec. I w-want to know that she is safe." She spluttered, taking quiet, tearful sniffs.

"I know, I know." He murmured softly, bringing her closer into his arms until he was rocking her gently like a new-born baby. "We'll find her. We'll find her and she'll be just fine."