'Witchy Lane'- present day

Alec watched the world swirl past, his head tilted towards the passenger window and his eyes following the moving road. His arm was propped up at a right angle, his knuckles resting against the glass. The pane was cold and icy to the touch, much like the silvered locket that was enclosed in his palm; a new feeling for him. He was usually the cold one.

"How much further now, Brother?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at the passing images through the glass.

"Not long now. Soon enough we can park up and go see if Kris can help us trace Clotilde with a locator spell. I just need to remember the bar she worked in."

"You reckon she still works there?"

"Sure, it's where all the witches congregate. She's bound to be amongst some of her own."

Alec scoffed, laughing to himself. "Oh yeah, I forgot about this place being all 'witchy lane'. Remind me to bring a wizard hat next time we visit."

Mateo gave his brother a side glance before returning his gaze to the road. "You don't have to act all heartless about this you know."

Alec didn't respond, just focussed on the passing cars.

Mateo sighed, "Look, I know how much she meant to you. Although you and Clotilde are different now you still have your history. It's gotta hurt and it's okay if it does."

"I don't hurt, Brother."

"You keep telling yourself that."

Neither of them said anything for a couple of minutes, both of them reflecting on old memories that played about in their heads. Alec's expression remained hard as he narrowed his eyes further. He started to trace his thumb over the icy locket which rested neatly in his hand. Mateo, however, frowned into the distance, his eyes sullen and sad.

"Here," Mateo said quietly, pulling the car into Elfin Street. "The bar's up ahead."

They exited the car and begun to make their way to The Fox Inn, following the crooked and cobbled path that appeared only to be strewn together with yellow grass and ageing moss. The streets were oddly quiet with little sign of life, just the odd cat scarpering after a futile mouse.

"How ironic," Alec stated outwardly, glaring at one of the passing cats. "We have definitely entered witchy land."

"This way, Alec." His brother replied tiredly, opening the door and entering the disheveled looking Inn.

Alec hissed back the cat and gave himself a smug grin as it hastily fled into the opposite direction. "Right behind ya, Brother."

Alec, a step behind Mateo, whistled through his teeth at the sight of the bar. "Well it looks like they're redecorating. What is this? Plastic sheets?"

"It's tarp." Stated Mateo, brushing his hands over the material that covered the bar and the multiple tables. He moved along the bar edge, noticing all the windows that had been boarded up with wooden planks. They were nailed at jaunty angles, almost as if they were put up in a hurry. "Kris, are you there?" He called.

"You hoo, witchy woo! Come out come out wherever you are!" Alec joined. "I know you're in here." Silence followed and he rolled his eyes at his brother before continuing. "How's ya little witchy boyfriend? You getting cosy ba-"

"Shut up, Alec." A hoarse voice threatened. A woman appeared from behind the bar, ducking tentatively under a propped wooden door, its hinges now rusty and broken. Her face was tired, her eyes worn and grey, accenting the odd silvery strand that fell from her wirey head of raven black hair. It had been a while since the brothers had seen Kris but not long enough to have caused such a drastic change in her appearance. Something was off.