The Second Encounter- past (1800s)

-the winter of 1875, Clotilde is 14, Liliana is 16 and Kali is 17-

Kali's fingers laced through her sister's hair, combing through the light golden strands. "I recommend tying the sides up," she smiled, looking back at the reflection of her beloved sister in the mirror.

Liliana's eyes lit up with excitement as she watched herself in the glass, her smile wide and vibrant. She admired the blood stained colour on her lips and her gaze followed the rich waves that fell delicately past her collar bone. "I cannot wait, Kali. I really think he is the one."

A dry laugh erupted from the right of the two sisters and Kali turned around to scowl at the youngest. Clotilde, laying on Liliana's bed, her copper curls sprawled along the linen pillow, snickered to herself quietly, covering up her face with her pale hands.

"Is something wrong, Clotilde?" Spoke Kali, sourly.

Recovering from her childish giggles, Clotilde sat up to face her sister's glare. "I'm sorry but we all know that is not true. She said that about the last one."

Kali shot daggers with her eyes before returning her attention back to Liliana's hair. "Don't listen to her. You're going to have a splendid time."

Liliana frowned, looking at Clotilde through the reflection. "I understand. I've not had the best experiences in the past. But that doesn't mean I should just give up all together."

"That's right," smiled Kali. "Don't listen to Clo, she's just a child."

"Excuse me? I am not just a child!"

"Well you're certainly acting like one tonight!"

Clotilde moved from the bed, fuming. "Who are you, my mother?!"

"I must be since you had no problem dealing with our last one!"

"Both of you stop it!" Liliana cried, her voice high and shrilled. "Just, stop it." Her voice turned into a whisper. "We all know that the death of our mother was none of our fault."

"No no, I understand." Replied Clotilde, a distant, glassy look in her eyes. "I'm sorry that I killed our mother." The three fell silent, watching each other with great intensity. "But if I could turn back time and swap my birth for her life, I still wouldn't."

Liliana felt a cold pang hit her chest and her eyes fluttered downwards, stifling a tear.

"If that is what you wish, " Kali spoke.

"Oh it is."

In the dull silence that followed, Clotilde turned away and exited the room, leaving a cold feeling lingering in the air and Kali returned her focus to the golden hair in front of her.

•••••••••••••

The grand doors burst open and Clotilde stumbled through in a flurry of fabric, her hair red and wild and her eyes pink and watery. The air was crisp and icy, misty clouds tracing every shallow breath that escaped her mouth. She sat, curled up on the stone cold doorsteps, her head leaning against one of the large, cream pillars and hugged her knees to her chest.

"Crying?" The voice was deep and masculine, authoritative yet uncertain.

Clotilde sniffed hastily, wiping her stinging eyes and turned her tear streaked face towards the voice. "I was not crying."

The voice chuckled. "If that is what you want me to believe."

Clotilde frowned, perplexed at the stranger's verbal approach, and blinked into the darkness. "Why can I not see you?"