Chapter 20

The full moon shone luminously above Ashleaf, basking the StormClan patrol in soft, milky light. Foreboding bubbled in her stomach, but she pushed it down. She would contain herself this Gathering. She wouldn't make the same error twice.

They sat in the Fourtrees clearing, waiting for MeadowClan and StoneClan to make their arrivals. Ashleaf took this heartbeat of tranquility to observe her patrol, which had shrunk even from last time's meager crowd.

Snowsong had chosen to remain behind and tend to Pineneedle and Sunpaw, who needed her much more than Ashleaf did. Snowsong did, however, allow Mousepaw to attend. Mousepaw still knew very little of the medicinal herbs and practices, as she had only been Snowsong's apprentice for a quarter moon. Ashleaf and Snowsong figured it couldn't hurt to allow the young cat get to away.

"Are you going to announce me as Snowsong's new apprentice tonight?" The white and gray tabby had asked sheepishly on the trek to Fourtrees.

Ashleaf had purred. "Well, of course! Why wouldn't I?"

Mousepaw's gaze dropped to her paws. "I don't know..."

"Is something the matter, Mousepaw?" Ashleaf mewed kindly.

"I don't know..." Mousepaw repeated, "it's just...I don't want the Clans making a big deal over it. I mean, it's just an apprenticeship..."

"Ah," Ashleaf nodded in understanding. Her sister was notorious for being timid. It'd be almost cruel to call her out in front of an entire congregation. "I promise, I'll make it as quick as possible, alright?"

Mousepaw lifted her head with a gentle purr. "Thanks, Ashstar," she mewed, and then hung back to catch up with Oakpaw.

Ashleaf blinked her focus back to the present, where she took notice of the MeadowClan cats approaching Fourtrees. The number of cats was titanic, and Ashleaf couldn't help but feel deeply intimidated. Yet another reminder of how frail StormClan was becoming. 

MeadowClan began to fill in the clearing. Their coats glowed with a sheen that indicated their lack of starvation. Many of the older warriors held themselves with pride. Broad chests jutted out, long, sleek tails twitching above their heads, eyes gleaming with arrogance. Ashleaf suppressed the urge to confront the first cat she saw and rip their fur out clump by clump.

Not that she would have the skill to do so, anyway.

She wondered for a moment what news Rosestar would bring. It's been quite a few moons. She's likely to have had a new litter of kits, with all of her healthy queens. Rosestar had an abundance of cats in her Clan. So many adoring followers. Dozens of generations to come. 

StormClan, Ashleaf knew, was falling apart. There weren't nearly enough cats in her Clan to continue any sort of legacy. She only had four warriors, not counting Pineneedle, who was condemned to the medicine den. 

Even though Pineneedle's recovery was miraculous, her odds of returning to warrior duties were slim. Pineneedle had already climbed in age. She's my mother, for StarClan's sake, and I'm already 84 moons! Even before her tragic accident, it was far past time for Pineneedle to unite with the elders.

Then her mind reverted to Sunpaw, her brother, who in the quarter moon since his assault, improved dramatically. His encounter with StarClan may have been a factor in the matter. He was already back on his paws. For a cat that was presumed to be dead, it was a stark recovery. While it was still far too early to resume training, and the flesh missing from his shoulder would be forever furless, Snowsong's gentle exercises seem to have worked wonders in the healing process.

Ashleaf was so consumed with her concerns about her brother and mother that she neglected to acknowledge a black tom approaching her. A dry nose nudged her on the shoulder.