Pride

Not many places were open this late at night that weren't filled with crowded rowdy drunkards looking to cause some trouble; But fortunately for Al Pride, an engineer with a local construction company, a japanese style hot springs had opened up recently and was open all the time. As the steam filled his pores, Al felt himself fall asleep. Images of heroic feats appeared in his mind, defeating creatures and monsters never before seen, fighting enemies and fiends that he's never heard of. Then an image of a man with wispy, smoke like wings kneeled in a dark room with a single light.

"Conspiracy to betrayal......Turning away from the light...Too powerful to banish......The Seven Sins" Al shot awake from the dream in one swift motion.

".... told you he could win the play-offs single handedly and look where he is now." One of the men in the sauna spoke.

"Hey buddy, what do you think?" Another called to Al through the mist.

"Saton's got more wins then Ceddic, he's the man to beat." Al answered trying to remain somewhat normal.

"Now that's what I said......." The men returned to their conversation, as if Al never existed. Al took a moment to gather himself before heading back into the locker room to change. After he was changed Al left the building and headed home on the creepy Thursday evening. Downtown was lit brightly but no soul in sight. It was well after midnight so most everyone was asleep, but Al never slept, didn't need to or want to. As he traveled farther away from downtown, the lights began to be fewer and far between, the city becoming darker and darker the farther away from downtown he was. Al stopped to admire the stars when suddenly a scream pierced the night sky. He sighed knowing full well that although it wasn't his business to get involved he was going to anyways. Al ran towards the dark alley the scream originated from; There a dark hooded figure stood over the body of a once living woman.

"Answer me this, man or creature?" Al Asked. The figure unspoken, turned and ran down the alley. "Seriously?" Al sighed as he took chase. The figure tried to lose him by throwing everything in Al's way. Unfazed by the obstacles, Al leaped and jumped with ease through the alley; gaining ground on the hooded figure. Coming to a dead end, the figure turned towards Al and brandished a gun. Al responded by pulling a sword bearing the mark of Pride out of the air and wielding it. The figure eyed the sword and ditched the gun, clawing at the wall behind him. Once the gap was closed, Al pierced the sword through the abdomen of the figure and the wall. Ripping the hood off of the figure he saw a young boy underneath with a mark like his etched into his face.

"Where did you get that mark?" Al demanded.

"I should ask the same." the boy retorted.

"I'm not one to play with." Al snarled. He could sense a dark energy bearing down on him and tried to keep his cool allowing the moment to pass.

"I work for a man not to upset, one who calls himself a deadly sin." The boy responded.

"Yes, his name is Greed and I would like to know where he is." Al groaned. The boy recoiled at Al's remark.

"How do you know his name? I had to prove myself to learn my master's name and yet here you are, a random stranger, throwing his name around like you know him." The boy yelled. Al removed the sword from the boy's abdomen, letting the sword disappear into the air. Al turned the boy around and pinned him to the wall by his throat.

"Because I do. I am Pride the fifth deadliest sin, and I'd like to have a word with him." The darkness slowly clawing at him, desperate to get out.

The tower stood out on this side of town. Not only for the fact it was the largest building but for the giant "Greed" written on the side of the building. A mark similar to Greed's glowed next to the name. According to the boy this was where Greed was, and it was almost too obvious. The building was modern and was decorated with expensive looking security and decorations. It was almost a slap in the face to Pride just how obvious that this was where the king of money was. It was still early in the morning, so the lobby was empty of bystanders and security men. The only one Pride could see was a lone secretary busy typing away at her desk. Pride walked into the building and up towards the secretary, putting on the biggest, most fake smile he could.