An Arranged Marriage!? (Edited)

Once Willy let me go, I went over to the counter with my packages. Willy, once again came up behind me, wrapping his arms around me.

"You're very touchy-feely today," I laughed.

"Mmm-hmm," was his response. I looked at the packages.

"Which should I open first?" I asked him.

"That one," he replied, pointing at the one with no return address, "Since I know what my dad got for you, and you'll like it, and I don't know what's in that one."

"Okay," I said, picking up the anonymous package, and attempting to open it, without accidentally hitting Willy with my elbow.

Somehow  I succeeded in my task and grabbed the first thing I saw which was a card. I didn't read the actual letter part and looked at the name at the bottom. However, I could tell Willy read the letter because his arms were slowly getting tighter around me. I quickly skimmed the letter and found that who sent it wanted me to wear what was in the package when I went to meet my dad. By the time I finished skimming through it, Willy had almost made it impossible to breathe.

"Willy, I can't breath." He instantly loosened his grip, and I leaned into him, so I didn't fall over.

"Sorry," he looked at me, and once I was able to stand on my own he let go of me, and stood next to me. "Who's Gilbert?" he asked addressing the name on the card.

"My guess is that 'friend' my dad was talking about."

"I don't like him. Did you read the entire letter part?"

"No, I skimmed it, all I know is his name and that whatever is in that small box he wants me to wear to the dinner."

"There was more to it than that."

"What was that?" I asked starting to open the box that came with the letter.

"Your father set up an arranged marriage for you two." I dropped the box as he spoke. "that's a ring."

"He can't do that," I whispered.

"I won't let him. When was the last time you saw him, again?"

"Um, fifteen years ago, I think," I looked up at him. "Do you think there's anything we can do?" I asked.

"I'm going to send someone to get Mr. and Mrs. Bucket, and see if they can do anything first since they are your adopted parents." I nodded my head wiping my eyes since they had started watering. Willy noticed this, and lifted me onto the counter. "Amandah, look at me," he placed his hands on either side of my face, and looked directly into my eyes. "we will figure this out." He wiped a few tears away with his thumbs. "One thing I know is that one way or another you won't be marrying Gilbert." The way he wrinkled his face when he said the name made me laugh. "Now! I'll be right back, don't open your other package till we figure this out, 'kay."

"Okay," I replied. Before he turned to leave, I gave him a quick kiss.

While Willy was gone, I read the letter. When I got to the part about marriage, I instantly felt sick to my stomach. Why would my dad do something like this, I thought, putting the letter down. I picked up the small box and looked at the ring inside, almost laughing at how big the diamond was. I closed the box and put it back down on the counter.

Willy came back in the room, a few seconds later. "Why are you laughing?" he asked.

"I looked at the ring," I replied, trying to hold back my laughter, but failing.

"How bad was it?" he asked. I handed him the box. "That's a big jewel," he laughed.

"Exactly."

"Mr. and Mrs. Bucket are on their way now," he informed me.

"Okay," I hopped off the counter, and gave Willy a hug, burying my face in his chest. "I missed you," I mumbled against his chest.

"I was only gone a few minutes."

"It was a long time." I felt him chuckle and smiled. Just then there was another knock at the door, signaling the arrival of the Buckets. I let go of Willy.

"You get the letter and box and I'll let them in." I nodded and went to get the stuff. I heard Willy in the living room briefing them on what was going on. I went in there and handed the letter to Mr. Bucket so he could read it, and went and sat down on the floor in front of where Willy was sitting, in a chair. Willy took a strand of my hair and was braiding it as the Buckets read the letter.

"I don't know if we can do anything," Mr. Bucket said, "but there are a few things you can do."

"And what's that?" we asked.

"Well, if you're already engaged or married, he wouldn't be able to do anything," Mrs. Bucket told us, "Or you can pretend that you never got the package, or watched the news yesterday." I looked at Willy wanting him to respond first, but he didn't seem to be paying attention at the moment.

"The dinner's in a week, we'll try to figure out what we want to do by then."

"That's probably a good idea, but Amandah how far have you guys gone?" she asked, looking at my neck. I quickly reached up and covered the bruise with my hand, my face turning red.

"We haven't done anything besides kissing," Willy replied for me. "I don't plan on going any further than that for quite some time now." I looked up at him confused but nodded.

"Okay, just make sure Charlie doesn't see it, we don't want him to start questioning why there's a bruise on your neck."

"I know," I replied. Mr. and Mrs. Bucket left then, and I took the ring box and letter back into the kitchen and looked at the ring again. This time I noticed a flashing red light hidden under the diamond. "Willy!" I called.

"What happened." I showed him the light, and he took the box from me and looked closer at it. He then grabbed a piece of paper and pen.

'It's a bug,' he wrote. He handed me the pen.

'So they heard everything we've said since we got the package?'

'Most likely.'

'I don't like this.'

'Let's go to a different room.' I nodded my head.

"Let's go find you something to wear next week," he laughed, grabbing the other package.

"Okay," I said with a small laugh. He took my hand and led me through the apartment, and to the closet.