47: The Last Reason.

*****

Day 10 of 10 left

It was the last day of their deal.

But Conan was not around. She was kind of hoping he will be at the Hakase’s when she walks out of her room that morning. She will be lying if she said she’s not expecting him. She was curious what will his last reason be.

She closed her eyes and went back to the events yesterday.

Mouri-san was engaged. And the detective said it was alright. He had moved on, he said. But did he really? Why is he not around then? Did he not want to continue the deal anymore because he realized it would be better after all if she disappeared?

Her chest tightened at the thought. She did not want to think of him that way but the negative thoughts on her mind just keeps creeping in.

I’ll wait. I’ll wait ‘til the day ends. Then I’ll make my decision.’ She thought as she went back to the kitchen to make some coffee. She needed caffeine to think clearly.

These past days, she was in a constant conflict with herself. She was confused. Because of the detective…of their deal. She hates to admit but she wanted to save herself too. But it seems like she’s just drowning in the darkness. It seems as if there was no salvation anymore. She was broken, yes. And she thinks it is beyond fixing.

She looked longingly at the door. ‘Is he coming?’

And mortifying as it seems, she was disappointed, yes. She figured Conan will be here early for his last reason. But he hasn’t. Could it be?

A shiver went down to her spine, as she gulped nervously.

What should I do?’ she asked silently. She bit her lip as she thinks of possible actions today. She finished her coffee in one gulp.

I guess I’ll wait for some time.’

*****

3PM

The day was almost halfway done, yet there was no sign of the detective. Haibara was tempted to check on him next door. But what will she say? That she was looking forward to see him and his plan for the day? No.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the professor called her.

“Ai-kun?” Hakase called as he approached her. He was holding a small package. “Can you deliver it to Shinichi next doors? I think he forgot and left this yesterday. He needs it for a case, I presume.”

Haibara bit her lip in hesitation. Is this her chance? She stood up and gets the package.

“Okay, Hakase.” She whispered and she left.

*****

She nervously rang the doorbell. A few moment passed before the door opened to reveal a disheveled detective.

Conan looked extremely shocked when he saw her. She noticed his cobalt blue eyes darkened with guilt. She felt quite disappointed at his expression.

He cleared his throat as awkward silence enveloped them. “Uh. Haibara. I…I wasn’t expecting you.”

She clenched her jaw, suddenly feeling angry. Is he hiding from her? Did he not want to see her?

“What do you mean, Kudo-kun? Are you surprised that I’m still here when in fact I should be dead right now?” she replied bitterly.

Conan’s eyes widened as he shook his head. He stared at her with guilty eyes and bit his lower lip nervously. He took the package from her hand and pulled her inside. “Let’s talk.”