The Devil Wears Prada

"Julie, get out here! Let's see how the costume looks on you!" Ms. Celeste, the theatre and chorus teacher, shouts from the front stage.

I look at my reflection in the backstage dressing room. I feel stupid. My costume just happens to be the recycled suit of Ms. Celeste's ex-husband. Not just any suit. The suit he wore to their wedding.

It fits me wrong in the worst places, and it makes me look starved and homeless. I guess that's how I should look to play the part of Tobias in Sweeney Todd, but it doesn't mean that I look attractive. That's new. It's never happened to me before.

Me? Julie Nicholson? Not being attractive? Yeah, right.

But looking in the mirror and seeing how malnourished and masculine I look, I can't help but feel like my face and hair have seen better days. The makeup artist, also the girl playing Lucy, wipes dark makeup all over my face to mimic the look of having dirt and grime. Now, I really look ridiculous. I didn't think it was possible for me to be even more unattractive, of course, in this costume; not in real life.

"Julie, don't make me tell you once more!" Ms. Celeste shouts at the top of her lungs. I sigh and adjust the collar of my coat.

"You look realistic, at least." Gemma smiles, and I narrow my eyes at her.

"I look like a homeless boy being forced into child labor?" She laughs and nods. Great, I can't wait for Brielle to see me like this. That is, if she even bothers coming to the show.

I shake my entire body, and jump up and down, trying to do anything to get me into the zone to act in front of my teacher. It's hard at first, to get myself to get into character. I'm not good at acting. I'm good at singing. It's the only reason I'm here, but when you're the best, you get treated like the best and you get parts in the plays.

I smile a last, short smile to Gemma before I waltz past her, past the curtain, onto the stage. I would almost still feel embarrassed for being dressed in such an ugly, unflattering costume had Ms. Celeste not been gawking at me. Any time an attractive girl, or woman, gawks at you, you have no choice but to feel confident. It's just how the world works.

"Look at you! Oh, my goodness, Julie, you look amazing. The perfect person to play Tobias. Look at her hair. Look at her makeup." She covers her smile with her hands, and I know it's because she has a snaggle tooth that she's embarrassed about. I would be embarrassed too if I had a snaggle tooth the size of hers.

She's still hot though, so I let it slide.

I smile, and spin around, showing off the horrendous way the costume fits me. I wish Brielle were here, if I really look as good as Ms. Celeste seems to think. Like a boy.

"Nicholson," Isaac, the only Irish-immigrant on the entire school premises besides his younger sister, laughs, "You look sick! Dude, you're like a sexy Ginnifer Goodwin. Not that she isn't sexy all the time, but damn."

I feel sick to my stomach when the double doors to the auditorium slam open and shut, signaling someone has walked in. Ms. Celeste turns around with an instant frown.

"Sorry, but the theatre is closed until our show night." She says in an authoritative tone very unlike how she usually sounds.

"Oh sorry. I was under the impression that any of the students on the Honor Roll could come watch the production at any time, even during practices." The voice is familiar, and I curse under my breath.

What is she doing here? 

"I'm sorry Miss--" Emmy cuts Ms. Celeste off by telling her last name, "Sireux, but you were under the wrong impression. Honor students can come watch the production for free during school when it is complete. You can come back either Tuesday or Wednesday."