~ 1 ~

14th Dec 2027

"I love you" he murmured in my arms as he took his last breath, I watched helplessly as the light slowly went out of Ming's eyes, starting into oblivion. I scream and scream but no sound came out of me. Then I my phone ringing, waking me up.

It has been the same dream, daily for the last 10 years, and I am so used to it now it has become a part of my life.

I am Kit, Dr. Kittinan, 29, currently stationed in remote village in South Africa, where I volunteer as part of red cross to try and salvage what is remaining of the remote tribe who refuses to give up on the old ways.

"Hey Beam" I smiled at my lifelong friend who has been through my thick and thins.

"Did I wake you up?" he asked concerned "Sorry, but Duo was crying to see you and I couldn't do anything" he apologized. I smiled, technology had improved so much over the past 10 years and now we no longer do video call but a hologram of Beam's 6-year-old stood right before me.

I knew this was just a bluff, and he is just checking in on me as they always do... especially this time of the year.

"Hey baby" I smiled "Did you miss me?" I waved at the sweet kid. He nodded "When are you coming back, it has been 5 months already".

I sighed "Soon", not wishing to make false promise "How's paddy?" I changed the topic to his pet dog which got him excited and he switched into stories.

Ever since I lost Ming in that accident, I have lost the will to live. 

My friends tried their best but at one point they had to move on with their lives while all I felt was being stuck at 7:18 PM 15th Dec 2017.

We spoke about for like 1 hour, about everything and then before cutting down the call Beam said "Come back home Kitty" he sighed "Don't work yourself to death"

"No, I won't – I promised to live" I gave bitter smile "Remember?"

Beam, nodded it and left it at that, because it was the same conversation again and again with him insisting am not living, that am not doing justice to my promise to Ming.... But no matter how much I try ... I live there.

"Take care, and Pha said he will call you soon" he disconnected.

While I was grateful to my friends, I could not help feel resentment towards them – they had their dreams come true – but

Stop there, don't go there I told myself and got out to freshen up, and get ready to go into the forest today... maybe I will have some luck convincing the tribal chief to give him a simple antibiotic for his infection.

Sun was shining so bright and I was sweating like I was melting. There were absolutely no green trees and the ground was all brown. But I could see many colors as I reached the small village, I could hear the laughter of children playing around in this scorching weather like it was nothing.

A smile came up on Kit's lip automatically, as he paused to watch the children especially Mauie, the village orphan who took a special place in his heart. She was 3 years old but the look in her eyes carried a 300-year wisdom which he could not quite place.

Kit stood there watching the kids, as he noticed a small movement in his peripheral. He spotted a hungry looking wild dog that was getting ready to jump, and he saw it lunge for the kid and Kit's instinct took the better of him and he launched himself between the child and the wild dog, allowing it to tear him apart

This might be my chance to see Ming.