1. Carly

My name is Carly Johnson and I'm 21 years old. I'm an only child. My parents died in a car accident when I was 16 years old, which was when my life changed completely. I was not old enough to take care of my parents' properties, so they were put it in my uncle's hands. I lived with my uncle Jack till I finished my high school and was then sent to Boston for college.

Today, I am an assistant to the worlds' most successful businesswoman, Mrs. Garry Whales. While I do not necessarily hate the job, being an assistant isn't what I had dreamed of. I had always wished for something of my own. Give orders, not receive them. But here I am, running around every day, serving coffee. 

Every day was the same for me. Nothing new, just old, same stuff. I get off work at 8 pm. I got no one that waits for me at home, in an apartment too big for me.

I parked my car outside, reached for my handbag and walked to my door, opened and walked inside. It was a mess as always. I never got time to clean my place. I sighed before I continued to my room and dropped my bag on the floor before I slumped down on the bed. My king-sized bed. It was the only place where I felt the comfort I needed. I looked around the room and saw my parents' picture frame.

"Dad, mom, another day has passed and... still the same. Here I am, all alone. No one to go to. What am I supposed to do? No matter how much I try, my life just seems to be stuck! You said you would watch over me till the end. Why did you have to leave so early?" I removed my glasses and put them aside before wiping off the tear that escapes my right eye.

I rose up to my feet and walked out to the balcony outside the window. I watched the stars shine bright in the sky and wondered how they managed to stay bright throughout every night no matter how cold it was. A shooting star passed by. I didn't believe in such mysteries, but I still closed my eyes and made a wish.

Next day I woke up as always and made my way to the office.

I got to the office with a Latte for my boss and a notepad in the other hand. "Carly, you are late. The boss is looking for you." Wren said to me. Wren was my co-worker, kinda the only friend I had. He worked as the IT manager of the company. How was I late? I was on time. "But..." I tried to complain but Wren told me to run, or I would lose my job.

Great, I ran to Mrs. Whales' office. "Good morning, ma'am, I..." she cut me off. "Shut up Carly, I don't need to hear your nonsense right now. My son just arrived from London. I want you to go and fetch him. You have a day off. You will go welcome him and attend to all his needs. Show him around, take him to the house and later on, bring him to the office."

"But don't you have someone else who can do that? Why do I have to attend to him?" I complained which was not a great idea at all. "Carly! I don't pay you to ask questions." She shot me that look that makes me want to pee my pants. I gulped as I positioned my glasses well on my face. "What are you waiting for Johnson, run!" "Yes, ma'am!" And yeah, I almost ran with her Latte. I turned back and put in on her desk. "Your Latte! "I then turned and ran before she got to say anything else to me. "Where are you going?" Wren stopped me in the way. "Later Wren." I yelled as I ran for the elevator.

I drove with insanity just to get to the airport on time. Mrs. Whales gave me a hard time herself. Now she had to add her spoilt son to my day. I gasped in despair. In ten minutes, I was at the airport with a poster with words RON WHALES written on it in big letters, raising it up for whomever to see.

"It's just for one day. I will have to be a babysitter for just one day. Couldn't she pick up her own son? Doesn't she miss him? Of course, she is always busy with work." I sighed. Talking to myself was my specialty. "Hello." A British accent spoke to me. I moved my eyes to whomever was speaking and saw a... a man. Brown hair, green eyes, long nose. He was dressed in black jeans that fit him tight, a v-shirt and a long over coat.

"Hello, my name is Ron Whales." He spoke again. "So?" I posed him. I was surely absent to have asked that. "Ahh, you are holding a notice with my name on it." I loved his accent. "Oh yeah, you must be Mrs. Whales son. She sent me here to fetch you." I nodded my head.

"And you are?" He asked. Why would he ask? Why? "I am your mother's assistant at the office. My name is Carly Johnson." I replied anyway. Did not want to get fired! "Here, let me get your stuff. Follow me. I will take you to the car." I rolled his two suitcases out of the airport, to the car and put them in the trunk. I opened the door for him, and he entered. I closed his door before I went over to the driver's seat. "Sir, where would you like me to take you?"

"Take me to my mother's place. I would like to take a shower first before I do anything else."

"Alright, sir! At your service!" He stared at me. What! Was I being out of line? I wondered. "Please, stop calling me sir. The way I look at it, we are probably the same age. You don't have to speak formally with me."

I gave him my most weird laugh. "You are my boss's son. Its right for me to speak formally to you. Put your seat belt on, we shall take our leave now."

"Okay." He said after observing me. Why would he care? I then started the engine and drove to his mother's house.

The Whales' house was the biggest mansion in Boston. Looking around the house made me recall the times I used to run around our house with my mother when I was still young. When everything was still wonderful! Before my life fell apart!

"You can wait for me here. I will be right over after freshening up then we can discuss where to go next. I missed home." Ron said before he went upstairs followed by the butler who carried his suitcases with him. "I miss home." I said to myself. Had I said goodbye forever to my home? I had not gone back ever since my uncle sent me to Boston. Will I ever go back? I reached for the sofa and sat down with a sigh. This was my new life and maybe my forever life.

I have to get used to it. I have to adapt. They were the words I told myself every single day but it all just kept dropping like an illusion. My life burnt like hell.

"I don't expect it to change any time sooner anyway!" I pressed my lips so hard it hurt.

I have to love my life the way it is. If I want to be happy then I have to feel like I can be happy. I have to let go of the past. I have to finally move on. I have to stop being Carly Johnson and become Carly.

"I am my own happiness!"

I gasped.