NINE

Mars, 4137 Common Era

"Ambassador," the servitor addressed. Ambassador Henning turned his attention away from his book. "They have arrived. They are in orbit--"

"Oh, good!" Henning snapped his book shut and began to stand.

"I--er," the servitor fumbled his words as Henning's pace quickened faster than anticipated. "Councilor Aeric requests that you remain onboard for his arrival--"

Henning teleported onto a triangular field of grass. He drew in a breath of Martian air and then circled about himself, adhering to the lower gravity. The convention was decided to take place here, in the middle ground between Earth and Jupiter, which seemed suitable enough. A mansion of sorts was situated in the middle of the field. Old-style, made from brick, stone, and dense woods with all the old-style amenities, front porch and arched windows included among them. The field itself was located in the gap between three giant hills of sorts, each heavily layered with woodland forests--beyond them, who knows? Henning stood a moment in the grass a few tens of meters from the front porch, admiring the simple lifestyle the scenery suggests (and perhaps even beckons), listening to the slight breeze caress the grass and listening to the assorted birds declaring their songs.

Councilor Aeric, accompanied by his servitors, teleported onto the grass relatively nearby. Moments later, Henning's own servitors teleported beside him. The servitor who had previously addressed him earlier, appearing to hide their fluster.

"Henning!" Councilor Aeric approached with a mock-stern feature to his face. "How can you ditch your aids--not to mention me--in such dire times?"

They shook each other's wrists and patted shoulders. "My safety is my own business," Henning argued. "The war hasn't begun yet."

"No, it hasn't, though I'll bet you my tall jug of change it will've by this afternoon's end."

"Keep your wooden nickels. It's a fool's bet."

Councilor Aeric got close to his ear. "Though, in all seriousness, it's not wise to be without your aids. We are, after all, attending a convention of war."

"I'll start pretending to be a candy-ass when I start seeing weapons drawn," Henning replied.

The rest of the ambassadors, councilors, and scientists from Earth and the Jupiter Republic appeared on the grass. Henning now studied the men and women from the Jupiter Republic. He recognized a few of them, like the ambassadors Reynold and Charlotte, who were huddled near one another, surrounded by their own entourage. Henning traversed the distance to meet them, Councilor Aeric followed.

"Ambassadors," Henning said. Each bowed to the other.

Councilor Aeric started, "I'm glad we've chosen to settle this disagreement in such a peaceful pursuit."

"If that's how you choose to word it," said Ambassador Reynold.

"It is how I've chosen, and for a solid reason. This may be the only war--in all of human history--fought with absolutely no loss of life. A very peaceful pursuit indeed."

"Ah, yes," agreed Ambassador Reynold. "However, I have hope we may avert it yet."

"May we?" Henning gestured to the front porch of the large home.

Henning lead both parties inside. He wasn't familiar with the layout of the house--some of the servitors appeared to be--but he knew the talks were to be held in the great hall, which was easy enough to locate upon entrance. Everyone was seated, each party to one side of the long, rectangular table. Drinks were handed out and emptied as everyone began to settle and take place.