Chapter 11

"Hey Jackson, I just want to talk to you for a bit. Trust me it won't be long but how are you? I mean I know that a lot of things are going on in your life right now. Especially because of your mom." Ms. Peterson asks me.

"I-I-I'm okay and thank you for earlier."I say as I struggle to say words since I wasn't sure what to really say to her. It startled me that she would even call my name.

"Hey, no problem. I just felt that I had to step in because the class was starting to get out of control. Anyways are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes. I'm okay. I mean I'm trying to be, it's just a lot is going on. The truth is I don't know how to handle it all. I know I can't but I guess I have to try."

"Look you don't have to force yourself to be fine. If you're not it's okay to show it. It's okay to be vulnerable sometimes and you don't have to be afraid to show that side. The thing is I know how it feels to have someone taken away from you. When someone comes along and kills the people you love most." Her eyes were filled up with tears and anger as she leaned forward from the desk.

"Wait what are you talking about? My mom isn't dead she's still in the hospital." I say confused since I didn't say anything about losing anyone or about my brother.

"Oh right I'm sorry. I didn't mean it in that way. I mean that I know how it feels when all of the attention is set on you in situations like this. You might feel alone but I want you to know that you aren't alone."

"What do you mean by I'm not alone? Ms. Peterson did something happen to your family?" I ask. As soon I do her face tenses up. A single tear runs down her cheek. Before she spoke she let out a deep breath.

"Yes. My brother. He was only 16 when he died. This happened 7 years ago where he was killed by a drunk driver when he was crossing the street. The driver that killed my brother did not get sentenced to prison!" She then slammed her fist on the desk where everything on the desk shook from her anger.  

"Instead he got off thanks to his stupid lawyer and the statement that he was under the influence of alcohol so it was unintentional. All of the charges that my family placed on him were dropped. We were suffering from the injustice that we received from the system. You want to know something else sickening?"She said where her hands were slightly shaking.

The whole time she was talking I was listening intently. I was so angry about what she had to face. I then quietly whispered "What else happened?"

"The man that killed my brother had a family that he went back to. His kids were able to have their dad. His family was not broken but mine was. The man kept denying his actions. There's no way possible to live like that when you know that the person who committed it is still out there. They don't care at all."

"It's the same way with my brother." I hesitate before I continue.  "He was murdered in the strangest way possible. It's hard to explain the way he died but the police couldn't find the killer. That is why I-" I then suddenly stop myself since I was about to tell her my plan of tracking down the murderer.

I knew I couldn't tell Ms. Peterson because no matter how much we relate, it doesn't hide the fact that she is still an adult. She would probably tell me that what I'm doing could get me in danger.

"No, what were you going to say. Why did you pause?"

"Sorry I-"

"Jack!" Ryan pokes his head in the room where he sees me talking to Ms Peterson at the desk. "I'm sorry to interrupt but my mom just came to pick us up."

"Oh well I'm sorry that I held you up Jackson. If you have to leave then why don't you go ahead and go. I'll see you tomorrow." Ms. Peterson says while wiping away the tears from her face.