Chapter 11

~i'd finally worked up the courage to ask him the question i've wanted to since the second i met him.~

jacks pov 🍜

"zach?"

his beautiful glazed over eyes stared into mine. it's impossible for him to not even feel a little bit like i do... right?

"s-so why does everyone call you skittles?"

i could see more tears forming in his eyes and i immediately regretted asking.

"i mean, you don't have to-"

he cut me off with a weak voice. "i was 10 years old. in fifth grade. i wasn't always the shy loser. jonah was the popular kid and i was his bestfriend. but one day in class we had to give a speech about something we love. jonah wrote about his cat, which somehow gained him more popularity points, but i wrote about my dad." his voice broke. he'd never talked about his dad before. he gulped as tears streamed down his face. "we always used to go get rolled ice cream at the shop downtown every friday. we always got skittles on top instead of sprinkles. it was our thing. but we stopped going because he had cancer. stage 4. we all thought he was going to die. so i wrote about how much i love my dad and how i didn't think i'd be able to eat skittles again. the next day people kept bringing me bags of skittles and taunting me. everyone started calling me skittles and they started making fun of jonah for still being friends with me. he stuck by me. then we were both outcasts."

i looked at him in shock. tears were falling down my cheeks now, too. "i-i'm so sorry, zach. is your dad... ?"

"yes. he beat it. but i never told him that i was getting bullied. i knew he'd think it was because of him and he didn't need any more burdens in his life."

i held onto him until he was done crying. he looked up at me with a sad smile on his face and brought his hand to my hair.

"i guess i don't need to ask why your name is noodles."

i chuckled lightly. "yeah." he kept staring at me as if he wanted me to go on.

"not everyone likes it though. i used to be friends with the most popular kid in school. he didn't like it. he told me if i wanted to be his friend, i had to straighten my hair. so i woke up two hours early and straightened my hair every single day for two years. but one day i was running late and didn't have time. he got mad at me and beat me up on the playground. i came home with a black eye and my mom started freaking out. i told her it was the flat iron and she stopped letting me use it. i had no friends until i got to eighth grade and met corbyn and daniel."

i sighed and he just sat in his thoughts. it felt good to finally tell someone. he was silent for a while. eventually he looked up at me with a grin on his face.

"hm?" i said, confused.

his smile only grew.

"who knew noodles and skittles would make such a great combo?"

A/N oKAY BEFORE YALL YELL AT ME I HAVE GOTTEN MY LIFE TOGETHER AND COME UP WITH A SCHEDULE FOR THE SUMMER.

IT GOES BETWEEN THIS AND MY INSTAGRAM FAN ACCOUNT (THAT YOU SHOULD FOLLOW @ WDWJUSTCHEV )

MON: 3 new ig posts w a new theme
                  (quote, daniel, jonah)
TUES: 3 more ig posts w a matching theme (zach, meme, jack)
WED: 3 more ig posts w same theme
                   (corbyn, group, quote)
THURS: new wattpad chapter
FRI: 3 ig posts to set up for a new theme

SEE YOU ON THURSDAY! (I PROMISE)