The Middle - Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey

Song : The Middle
Artists : Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey.
Requested by : @imacharacter98

"One week," I answer, much to my distaste.

"Damn," she says. "I know you and your occasional fights but this, this is pretty long for you two."

"I know," I sigh, running my fingers through my already messy hair as I slowly walk around the kitchen. I absentmindedly open the fridge whilst balancing my phone between my ear and shoulder.

"So, what's it this time?" She asks, and by her tone, she sounds rather amused.

See, that's the kind of best friend you'd want. Someone who's amused while you're heartbroken.

Not.

"Lot of shit," I answer, pressing the phone between my ear and shoulder as I pull out yesterday's leftover casserole from the fridge.

"Like?" She enquirers, not getting the sign that I'd rather not disclose that piece of information.

"Like the fact that he never takes the garbage out. Or how he comes late every night without any specific reason," I say. "Or how about the fact that he's been meeting up with Veronica without bothering to tell me?"

Yep. I've got plenty of reasons to argue with him with the latter one taking the lead.

"Maybe because you're so stressed all the time," she mused. "Like, getting you worked up is so easy."

Me? Stressed?

"I'm a lawyer," I say, slowly. "I'm fucking paid for being stressed!"

"Stop catastrophizing," she answers. "You both need to sort your shit out and stop arguing for once! Like every week you guys have got something new going on. Talk about an unstable relationship."

"We're not unstable," I defend. "We're just...barely stable."

Poor argument for a lawyer, I know.

The sound of a lock turning caused me to glance up towards the front door to find him standing there.

"I'll talk to you later," I mutter to her.

"He's here, isn't he?" She exclaims. "Oh, could you please keep me online? I so wanna hear it! You always leave the details."

With that, I disconnect the line.

"Hey," he smiles casually, as if last night didn't happen.

Oh no, I'm not leaving that fight unresolved.

"I think we should talk about it," I say, mentally taking notes to not start up an argument this time. He walks into the hallway and pauses at my words.

"Okay, let's talk," he answers, plopping himself on one of those comfy leather couches and staring at me expectantly.

Okay, I certainly didn't expect him to be this...cooperating. Usually he'd push away the matter saying that he wasn't in the mood for this bullshit. And then I'd have to force the topic on him.

But today, well, he seems to be in a pleasant mood.

"Uh," I stutter, caught off guard with his easygoing mood. "Okay. So, Veronica."

"She's a friend," he says, shrugging nonchalantly.

See, I'm not against him having female friends. Not at all. I only ask that I get introduced to them, to know the kind of people he hangs out with.