Stay - Zedd, Alessia Cara

Song : Stay
Artist(s) : Zedd, Alessia Cara
Requested by : @issaglossy
I didn't want to copy the music video idea, though I loved it. So, yeah, here it is.

The clicking of the lock on the front door deviates my attention from Netflix, causing me to immediately pause the episode because I know who it is.

"So? Got in?" I ask, anxious for his reply. He looks at me with a glum look and then turns back around to lock the door.

"You didn't make it?" I question, surprised. With his grades, hell, no college would willingly pass over him.

He gives me that same glum look and plops himself down on the couch beside me, taking off his jacket.

"So you're not gonna say anything?" I ask, giving him a pointed look.

"I just did by saying 'I just did'," he replied, his voice contrasting his usual cheery self. To be honest, it's me who's usually all glum because of schoolwork and lack of sleep.

"And that totally answered my question," I answer, sarcasm lacing my words. "Seriously though, did you get in or not?"

"I did," he answers, his tone snappy. "Alright? I did and that sucks."

Okay, did I hear him wrong or did he just say that getting into one of the most prestigious colleges in the state sucks?

I must've heard him wrong. But I can't deny the vexation I sensed in his tone. Something's wrong.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I ask, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You got in. That's been your goal ever since middle school. You did it."

"I wish I didn't," he replies in a clipped tone.

I'm seriously not getting the point here. Why does he speak of getting into the college as something he despises?

"Why?" I ask. "What's wrong?"

That's when he turns towards me with those ocean blue eyes looking in mine. Except now, unlike all the other times, they're filled with unshed tears. He's an emotional guy sure, cries when the dog dies in a movie, but that's as far as it goes. Unsure of the reason for his sad self, I grow anxious.

"Babe, you're killing me here by acting as if someone died," I say, unable to keep the worry out of my voice. "What's going on, seriously?"

"I got into the college, but not the one in Massachusetts," he answers gloomily, averting his eyes. "Apparently, no spots left here. But they offered me a place in their branch in London. In another continent."

My breath hitches in my throat.

London? That's on the other side of the world.

Thousands of miles away from here, from my college.

Away from me.

"Are they fucking crazy?" I exclaim, catching him off-guard. "If you wanted to go to London, you'd have applied there not here. You applied here means you want to study here and that's fucking obvious. They can't just tell you to move to London. That's not fair."

By now, I was on the verge of tears myself. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and allow myself to be comforted by him because, who knows, tomorrow he'd be in London.

Honestly, the very thought of separation is terrifying. I'd be nowhere without him right now.

"I know, babe, I know," he answers. "Trust me, I practically begged them to let me study here and even threatened them, but they offered me nothing but London."