Lunatic Girl

"I was watching a YouTube parody of the Goonies with my mom the day it happened. We got an unexpected knock on the door, well at least I thought it was unexpected. She said 'my time has come, I have to leave now. I promise baby if you keep doing good deeds and being nice we will be reunited.' Then she just disappeared into thin air. I was very smart for a 5 year old and I knew how to look after myself and that is what I did. Well only for 3 weeks until I got evicted for not paying the bills. When the landlord found me in the apartment by myself he called the police and I was put into the system. I was put into my first foster home and I completely hated it. I hated it so much I lit their dog on fire just to get out. Since then I have been in 7 different foster homes in the past 10 years. Right now I am in my last foster home because Mr. and Mrs. Greener want to adopt me! But they need to find my biological father so he can sign away his parental rights. A small part of me wants him to be dead so we don't have to go into a huge custody battle. If i'm being honest I want to be with the Greeners because they actually love me, unlike unknown father." The room went silent and everyone was staring at me. "Are you kidding me?" I say "I'm pretty sure none of you believe me but --" Out of nowhere I just start tearing up. "Um okay how about we go take a lunch break." Miss. Carter says to save me. I ran out the sharing room and went outside so fast hoping no one would notice me.

I was sitting outside of the building then I heard a small voice say "I don't think you're crazy." I look up and she had large brown eyes and short dark brown hair. I didn't understand why someone would want to talk to the lunatic girl so I couldn't help myself and I told her "leave me alone." "Okay," she said in an unsure voice. "Well if you need anything I will be in the cafeteria." She seemed sweet and I did not mean to be rude but I was just so unstable I jumped to the inaccurate conclusions.

It was finally 7 pm and I could go home. Mrs. Greener picks me up and we go to Sammy Swirls where we go every Thursday for free ice cream. When we were sitting down at the table she gets a call from Miss. Carter. Mrs. Greener holds up her finger and leaves the shop. She kept looking through the window at me. I sank down in my chair while still licking my ice cream cone. 5 minutes later Mrs. Greener tells me to "wrap it up." I hate when she says that, it scares me. In the car it was so silent I could hear the junk moving around in the trunk.

When we got into the house Mrs. Greener had sadness in her eyes and told me to"Go wash up and come back down here to talk about your progress." I ran upstairs to take a shower, brush my hair and teeth. I go back downstairs to "talk about my progress" with Mrs. Greener. "We're worried you are not enjoying going to group as much as we thought you did." "Well" I took a long pause and continued, "I do enjoy it but maybe I should take a break for a while." Mr. and Mrs. Greener take a glance at each other. "If that is what you want little soldier." Mr. Greener says gently. This meant I did not have to face the large brown eyed girl with short hair tomorrow! But the more I thought about it the more I felt bad. What if she was going through something and wanted me to be her friend? Does she actually not think i'm crazy? What if I won't be reunited with my mother for being rude to that girl? What if she really does think I am a lunatic girl? These questions haunted me the entire night. I could just barely sleep.