part 2

I got down just in time to see Harley heading into the kitchen with a brown haired Louis perched on her hip. She was seated around the kitchen island when I entered, Louis messily munching his sweet and sour chicken with enthusiasm.

Luis was five and the result of a past boyfriend of Harley's that I had never met. He had green eyes and dark, curly, messy hair. He was a small kid for his age and looked three instead of four. His skin was as olive as mine and I often wondered if we shared my half Italian heritage. He was a happy kid and the most innocent person I knew.

Dinner was hell.

I sat there in the kitchen and lied.

I lied through my teeth.

I lied like my life depended on it. But it didn't, there's did.

I hurriedly escaped the first chance I got, leaving them to the rest of their dinner and relaxing in front of the television. As usual, the news made me scowl and I was very tempted to throw a remote at the screen.

They were calling me a hero again for saving the bank, but in reality, I was bored.

That's it.

Saving that bank had nothing to do with being heroic or wanting to help, no.
I was bored, plain and simple.
The lead I was chasing went cold and I needed a fight to control my anger, and since I wasn't a villain, I saved the bank.

See? Nothing heroic.

I rolled my eyes as the reporters commented on my outfit. They were going on and on about how I'm the only one not in spandex. I huffed and changed the channel, settling for Teen Titans Go, a cartoon that made me hate DC.

"Kaine???"

I looked around at Harley, a bit surprised when she cupped my cheeks and looked into my eyes.

"Why are your eyes green?"

Well then. That's a valid question isn't it? Wanna know the answer?
I forgot to take out my contacts.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid Kaine! Five years of hiding and you finally blew it!

I kept my face calm and composed. I forced myself to think about some embarrassing childhood moments, like the time Becky Carona yelled at me in the fourth grade for looking up her skirt.
I blushed deep red at that memory and bit my lip nervously, "Um... Hunter has green eyes and...the girls at school are obsessed with him so I......"
As I expected, that explanation did the trick.

"Young man! I thought I told you never to change for anyone! Your blue eyes are perfect the way they are and if girls like you less because of eye color, they are vapid and shallow and don't deserve the time of day!" Harley frowned at me as she went on her little rant.
I looked away in shame..and that wasn't an act. I hated lying to her.

She sighed and kissed my forehead, "Go take them out." Her voice was soft and gentle, the kind she used right after yelling when she knew I had learnt my lesson.

I nodded and walked up the stairs, my shoulders sagging as I sighed in relief.

There couldn't be anymore stupid mistakes... I had to protect her and Luis from this side of me, along with every secret that came with it.