Chapter 3: The Choice

Arela blinked sleepily. Then she jolted bolt upright. Something was wrong. For the past several months she'd been traveling, Ori had slept in the sleeping bag beside her. But now, wasn't there. Arela glanced around. All his stuff was still there. She took a deep breath. "Okay," she thought to herself, "maybe he's just scouting. Yeah. He always does that." and she drifted off to sleep.

Over the past several months, Arela and Ori had fallen into a routine. Every morning, Ori would wake up bright and early to scout for food and water. Then, Arela would wake up when she smelled berries cooking on the makeshift fire. After breakfast, Ori would train Arela in weaponry and magic. Yes, Arela had magic. She'd discovered on a rainy day that she had the power of water. It wasn't as powerful as some, but it was something. After training, Ori used his powers to lead him in the direction of darkness, where they thought Laya and Ora would be. The night before, Ori had said that they were very close.

Arela blinked her eyes open as the sun's rays hit her through the trees. She looked around. No Ori. She stood up and stretched, walking over to the makeshift campfire. Maybe he'd left a note. Sure enough, there was a note. But it wasn't from Ori.

Dearest Princess,

You seem to be missing someone. Two someones, actually.

Unfortunately, they are both in mortal danger. You have a choice. Either you save your sister, The Heir, or you save your companion, The Son of Light. Choose by midday on the morrow. If you save you sister, continue straight. If you save your companion, go to the right. Hurry. Time is running out.

Sincerely,

Your Worst Nightmare

The Lady of Darkness

Arela screamed, a scream that shook the trees. The birds flocked out of the trees, adding to the noise. The young princess fell to the floor, shaking. How could she choose? She closed her eyes, and Ori immediately came to her mind. His white hair brushing against his eyes, his eyes open wide with laughter, his mouth... so kissable... Arela opened her eyes. "Ori..." she whispered, "I love you." Suddenly, a breeze sprang up. Arela was surrounded by white light, and a voice whispered back...

"I love you too, Arela. Now we are soulmates, bonded for life."

"Ori?" whispered Arela. "Is that really you?"

"Yes, Arela. Now that we have declared our love, we can communicate. I will always be with..." suddenly, there was a scream, and the connection shut off.

"Ori?" she asked. "Ori!" Tears were streaming down her face. "What do I do?" she cried out. "Who do I save? The true love I have just found, or the sister I have known all my life?" Then Arela felt the connection open up again, and felt a shop jolt of pain. She knew it was Ori's. "Arela..." he whispered, his voice tight with pain, "I'll be fine. Find our sisters. They will save the world."

"No! I can't Ori, I can't leave you."

"Would you rather leave your sister? She must be saved. Find her. I promise, my love, no matter what happens, I will find you. Be safe Arela, good luck..." then the connection shut off.

"NO!" she cried out. "Ori! Please! I need you!" the young princess sank to her knees. "I can't live without them..." she said, "please, I can't..." she stayed there sobbing. Suddenly, she felt a warm hand on her shoulder. She looked up, and there was a handsome face she'd been waiting for. "Connol!" she cried. "Brother! Oh, thank the Light that you're here. They're all gonna die and I can't save them all and..." she buried her head in his arms. But Connol pushed her back, eyes wide with shock. "Who's going to die," he asked in a panic, "is it Laya? Is she okay?" So Arela told him. Everything.

***

Connol stared at his almost sister-in-law in shock. The poor girl... she was a sixteen year old Princess who'd been sheltered all her life. Now, she was being forced to decide between her sister and her one true love. What could she do? What could he do? He knew he had to save Laya, but it was clear from the way Arela had talked about this Ori that if he did that, she would know Laya was in good hands and go off to save Ori herself. Laya would never forgive him if he let anything happen to her baby sister. What to do, what to do...

***

Ori didn't know anything but pain. He was chained to the wall of a dungeon by his arms and legs, covered with black wounds that bled pure light. He had a moment of silence, his first since he had first been captured while scouting. He had turned off his bond with Arela. It had been such a relief when she'd finally completed the first step of their bond and they could communicate. Ah, Arela... he hoped she'd go save her sister. That needed to happen. Even if he never saw her again... it'd be worth it. "I'm sorry, Arela," he whispered. He closed his eyes and remembered when he'd realized Arela was his one true love. It was the day they'd realized she had water powers...

***

Ori was impressed. They'd only been together for two months, and already Arela was able to defend herself with ease. "Your brother did a good job," he said. Arela grinned.

"He wanted me to be able to defend myself. Now you're teaching me how to go on the offensive!" Ori laughed.

"You shouldn't be that excited about that..." he said, then trailed off. There was a rustle in the bushes. Arela twirled around. Something was there...

"Who are you?" she asked, holding out her dagger. There was no answer. Then something came out of the bushes. Before Ori could react, a stream of water was shooting out of Arela's hand. "Oh," she relaxed, "it's just a rabbit." Then she looked at her hand. "Wait..." she said, "what just happened?"

"You have magic," Ori replied. "Water magic, to be specific." Arela laughed in delight. Their eyes met. Ori had never realized just how cute her laugh was...

"Well," she said, "why don't you go get food?" Ori smirked.

"I did breakfast and lunch. You can get dinner." Arela pouted cutely. Ori stared her down. Finally, she threw up her hands.

"Fine," she said, "your cooking stinks, anyways!" Ori laughed, and watched as Arela sashayed into the forest. Suddenly, he felt a tug. An instinct. An image of Arela came to him, her head thrown back in laughter, her amber eyes staring into his soul.

"Arela," he whispered, "I love you." he sighed. He had opened the connection. Now he just had to wait for Arela to finish it.

***

The woman stared at the Princess on the bed. She knew her. This beautiful girl... she wanted to help, but she couldn't. She was trapped in a prison of darkness. The only light were her children, created of darkness to make light, and her husband, the dark turned light. "We need to get out of here..." she thought, "before she discovers our secret."

***

Connol glared at Arela. "I'm going after Laya," he said. "You stay right here." Arela started in indignation.

"I started this," she said, "and I'm going to finish it. If you're rescuing your true love, I'm going to rescue mine." Connol crossed his arms.

"You're sixteen!" he exclaimed. Arela just held out her hand. Water shot out, straight into Connol's face. He spluttered. "When did that happen?"

Arela just looked at him. "I have magic." she said. "And I'm going to use it." Connol threw up his hands.

"Fine," he said, "but if your sister kills me for letting you into danger, it's not my fault." Arela nodded her agreement. Then he pulled her into a hug. "Good luck," he said. "Don't get killed." Arela smiled.

"You too," she said. "Bring my sister home." And the Prince and Princess jumped on their horses and rode off, the Princess to the right, and the Prince straight.