Prologue

Vera was running, her blond hair flying, her dark blue eyes tight with panic. She didn't know why or to where, all she knew was that she had to get away, had to get away, had to get away. Her pregnant belly heaved as Vera ran, reminding her that she must protect her child, must protect her heir...

Vera woke up covered in cold sweat to her husband shouting her name. "Vera!" he was yelling. "Darling! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine Dorno." she replied. "It's our baby you should be worried about." her husband's dark brown eyes widened.

"Did you have the dream again?" he asked. She nodded.

"Hold me, Dorno," she whispered, and he did, pulling her close to him, short black hair brushing against her forehead, his dark brown eyes looking into her blue ones. "Tomorrow," he whispered into her ear, "we'll call in the seer.

***

Vera paced. "When is she coming?" she muttered. "She needs to get here."

"Relax, darling," Dorno replied. "I'm sure she'll be coming any minu-"

Just then, a pair of royal guards opened the door. "Your Royal majesties," they said, "announcing, Seer Yarala Marsta of Kamlo!" As soon as the guards announced her, the seer came sweeping in. She was an old woman with her white hair pulled back in a tight bun, and her brilliant blue eyes gleaming with knowledge. She gave a brisk curtsy, saying, "Your Majesties," and before the royal couple had even given the order, she rose. If she was anybody else, she would've been reprimanded, but she was a seer, and everybody knew seers were above the law.

Wasting no time, Seer Yarala asked, "you called, Your Majesties?"

"We did," Vera replied. "We have been having nightmares. So, we would like to know if our child is in danger." The Seer's eyes widened.

"I can not say," she said, "All I will say is this, the child is the heir of the prophecy." And before Vera could reply, Yarala swept out of the hall.

Vera's mouth dropped as Yarala's words sunk in. "The child is The Heir of the prophecy," Her husband muttered, frightened.

"Our baby..." Vera sunk to her knees. "No!" She cried. "Not our baby! We can't..." She broke down crying, and Dorno sunk to his knees and held her as the mourned their unborn child together.

The courier raced down the path. He was under orders to announce the news throughout the kingdom, in every town and city, so all would know and be glad. As he came across yet another village, he stopped and got off his horse. As the villagers saw him riding up, they began to gather in the town square. Once it was full, the courier opened his scroll. "Listen, one and all," He began. "His Royal Majesty, King Dornosto Emroto of Bidaliata, is very happy to announce to the citizens of Bidaliata that Her Royal Majesty, Queen Veralata Heilia Mertiria of Bidaliata has been safely delivered of a Princess at half past on Sunday, in the Spring of the 500th year of Bidaliata. Henceforth, the child shall be known as Crown Princess Layamraya Inertaliam Veralata of Bidaliata. Long live the King and Queen! Long live The Heir!" And the shouts echoed throughout the kingdom, far and wide, throughout the land, and far away to a forgotten place of black ruins , where a dark Queen sat on her obsidian throne and plotted her revenge.