Nothing Like Before

John woke up and saw Eliza sitting at the edge of the bed reading.

"Good morning, beautiful!" He smiled.

"You're already a better boyfriend!" She kissed him.

"Already?"

"Alex isn't as nice as you, obviously."

"Well, yeah. But-"

"We should check on Peggy."

"Yeah, but wait. What about your parents? They don't know about me yet."

"They aren't home, so we're fine." She interlocked her fingers around his. "Let's go."

They walked into Peggy's room. She sitting in her bed on her phone. "Hey guys!"

Eliza sat next to her. "Hey, Peggy! How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, I guess. My arm is still red though." She showed Eliza her arm.

"I'm just glad you're okay." Eliza hugged her.

"Did Angie come home yet?"

"No, but Mom and Dad are uptown. She's probably not going to be home until later."

"Well, Mom told me they were coming home today."

"What?"

"She didn't tell you?"

"Obviously not!"

"Wow! She never tells me anything!"

"When will she be home?"

"I think she said around 5."

"Oh, so we have time."

"Yup! What are you guys going to do?"

"We don't know yet."

"You guys can do what you want, I'll be fine here. Maybe Sam can come over or something."

"Okay, have fun!" And her and John walked out.

"Now what?" John asked.

"Hot cocoa?"

"Sure."

"Come on, there's a great place just down the road." She grabbed his hand and led him back to her room. "Well, I have some of Alex's clothes. I know you hate him too, but I mean they're clothes. Here."

"Thanks." He walked into another room and changed, and then he met Eliza downstairs.

"Ready?"

"Yeah, let's go."

They walked down the street to the hot cocoa shop. As they got closer, they could smell the sweet chocolate.

"And here we are!" Eliza smiled. They walked in and got their hot cocoa. Then they walked around the block holding hands.

"John?"

"Yeah, babe?"

"When did you realize you weren't gay?"

John didn't answer.

"I'm sorry. Was that awkward? You don't have to answer if you don't want to!" She let go of his hand.

"No, it's fine." He reached for her hand and held it tight. "The second time we kissed."

"Oh."

"You were to perfect and beautiful to not be straight." He laughed.

"How am I so lucky?" She went up on her toes and kissed his cheek. "I love you, John Laurens."

"I love you more, Elizabeth Schuyler."