Chapter 5 - The Statesman

I had an idea and I was hoping that someone older and wiser might be able to help me. My thoughts came to that Dr. Mallard at NCIS. We were scheduled to visit the NCIS Headquarters in two days.

I looked up Dr. Mallard's resume and I had a hope that he could give me some insight on where I found myself. Dr. Mallard was open to visiting with me. It worked out doubly well since Sonja had told me that she had a late night overseas phone conference call scheduled.

Dr. Mallard met me at the door of the morgue. We drove a few blocks to the area surrounding the British Embassy. "I thought I would treat you to my food Mr. Lasalle. Have you ever been to the United Kingdom or Scotland? Like Americans, we have a wide variety of regions and regional food. We are going to a Scottish restaurant tonight. I must have known the menu of every pub surrounding the University of Edinburg when I was going to school there."

"Ducky", as he told me to call him, suggested some great dishes. I settled on the soup for an appetizer,  I hadn't eaten venison fixed this way before and neeps, an interesting vegetable. I chased the food down with which I understand is hard to get in the United States.

As the waitress came and took our dishes away, Ducky turned in his chair and directly addressed me. " So Mr. LaSalle, tell me how can I help you?" I quickly gave him an overview of the love relationship between Sonja and me. Initially I never let him know that it involved a co-worker, however, as he began to target questions to me, I realized that I had to come clean.

Now with a complete picture of the situation, he was able to quiz me forcing/allowing me to answer/respond to my own questions and concerns. Dr. Mallard confirmed my crises. He gave me a lot to think about. I thanked him for his time but left heavy in thought.

I didn't sleep any better and greeted Sonja when she opened the bedroom door. "What are you doing still awake" she asked. "It's almost two in the morning." "Got a lot on my mind love." I pulled her into my arms when she got into the bed and finally felt relaxed enough to go to sleep.