- 06 -

"Oh my God, Mom, I'm fine! I can get up by myself."

Johnny Lawrence had crutches. His mother had driven him to the doctors and they gave him pain medication that he'd rather not take and rewrapped his bandages, even though he would have rathered done it himself. Then they gave him a pair of crutches and told him to keep off of his foot for a week. Mr. Miyagi had said two, but Johnny was getting impatient. It had been six days since Daniel left and he was feeling antsy. His friend was to be returning tomorrow and he really didn't want to have to wait that long. He wanted to get up and do something without having to swing himself around on two ridiculous looking sticks.

He heaved himself up off of the couch, securing the crutches under his armpits and making his way across the room to where his mother was waiting. She wanted him to get a hair cut because apparently his beautiful golden hair was getting too long and it looked messy. He supposed he didn't exactly care either way, though he'd rather she didn't want the hairstyle that she was requesting. It wasn't exactly in style. It was a little short. But he just sucked it up, because he knew it would probably look good even if nobody else had it. His mother always had good taste, and she used to be a hairstylist herself.

"Sit down, honey, it's only gonna take a little while." She had set up a chair in the bathroom with towels under it to catch any hair that might fall. Johnny sighed and sat down, leaning his crutches against the wall and slumping back in his seat as she draped another towel over his shoulders so his neck didn't get any itchy strands caught on it or down his shirt. Of course, a little while really meant forever because she had to plan out her angle of opportunity and then she was going to take her sweet-ass time. She honestly might as well cut one strand of hair at a time.

Of course, Johnny didn't say anything, because she got heated when he used to mention it to her. He just sat still and waited for her to begin. The buzzing of the razor sent a chill down his spine. He had always hated it and the way it felt against his head or the back of his neck, and it took everything in him not to flinch when he felt it tough his scalp.

"Mom, hurry up. You're being slow again." He changed his mind about mentioning her slow pace, and she huffed dramatically.

"Relax, I'm almost done. I wanted to talk to you, anyway. What do you say we go out to eat?" Johnny didn't reply, and she finished up with his hair, forcing his head down over the sink at an awkward angle so she could clear the loose strands. He glanced up at the mirror and sighed heavily. It was a bit short for his taste, but it would grow.

"Let's go, put your shoe on." She chuckled at the word 'shoe' and Johnny groaned at the reminder of the fact that he couldn't wear a shoe on his injured foot yet. He got up and grabbed his crutches, moving past her down the hall and towards the front door. He put on one sneaker and waited for her to show up, which she did just a few minutes later with her purse and a sun hat. They exited the house and got in the car quickly.

"So..." Johnny's mother cast a sly glance in his direction and he took a deep breath, preparing for the worst. "How's Daniel? Have you accepted your raging desire for his love?" She winked, and Johnny felt his face catch fire the same as it had the day his friend left. He covered his cheeks with his hands, rolling down the window to cool off a little bit as he averted his eyes.

The truth was, Johnny had thought about it. He had thought about it a lot. And he was scared. He was scared that he did like that stupid idiot. He was scared that he liked a guy because that guy would never like him back. Daniel didn't swing that way. Johnny had always been aware, but he had never really liked someone of the same gender, but all of that was changing. He knew he was overthinking things, but he couldn't help it.

"I don't know how he is, Mom, he's not here. He's coming back tomorrow. And there's no raging desire!" He spat the words out like they were poisonous, folding his arms over his chest childishly. She just chuckled, which made him feel even worse. When they pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant he got out of the car as fast as he could, grabbing his crutches and swinging towards the front door.