chapter one

High school wasn't a pleasant journey for most teenagers; everyone smelled bad and concentrating on getting good grades didn't seem important compared to the other issues in their lives. School was easier for other people — the people who glided through school because they could throw a ball and were attractive.

People like Magnus Bane, who could only be described as a varsity jock, who got a lot of attention from practically the entire school and who, not like his friends, wasn't actually an asshole. On the totally other end of the spectrum, Alec Lightwood enjoyed lighter things, such as reading, acting, and dancing.

Alec never really had to come out as gay to the school; everyone just guessed and he was fine with that. Practically everyone accepted him, or at least they never hassled him about it, apart from the rare occurrence when someone on the football team would yell something at him and he would ignore it.

Life at school had been nice for Alec — he had a great group of friends and enjoyed being there, apart from the actual learning part. The school seemed to be divided to say the least, between the sports people and the non-sports people. The majority of the school would always be loyal to the sports people, as the school spirit usually derived from their games.

Magnus' games were the most important thing to him in life, as he was a good player and there was no greater feeling than going out onto that field. It was his dream. Magnus looked into the crowd, seeing the entire school sat on the bleachers, all chatting to themselves excitedly. His eyes flickered to the front, seeing the cheerleaders sitting there, all stretching and laughing.

His eyes caught with a few of them, the girls shooting him nervous smiles, Magnus smiling politely back. He gasped as he was yanked from his thoughts, coming face-to-face with one of his closest friends, Noah. 

 "You day-dreaming about the cheerleaders again?" Noah asked, a grin curling on his face to reveal his brilliant white teeth. His eyes flickered behind Magnus, raking down Maia Roberts, one of the cheerleaders in a green dress, as green was the school colour.

Magnus scoffed, pushing Noah's arm off his shoulder, "Shut up, Noah. I was seeing if any of them had seen your balls, as I noticed that Jessica has had them lately." Noah shook his head at him with a loud laugh, saying that him and Jessica was just a hook-up and his balls were intact. The coach blew his whistle, all of the boys rushing towards him.

He said a few words, and then the game began. It started off well for Magnus, as he scored the first goal of the game, earning a roar of excitement from the crowd in the bleachers. Alec was one of the many sat in the bleachers, although he wasn't one of the many screaming like animals.

Alec was only in the bleachers because his sister, Isabelle, was a cheerleader and Jace loved football, sitting next to Alec and hooting with the rest of the students. Alec didn't mind sports, but he would much prefer to be watching something with a lot more emotion and a lot less sweat. 

Isabelle had already done her performance with the rest of the cheerleaders at the beginning and looked beautiful, so there wasn't really much reason for him being there apart from the fact that Jace would be a little lonelier. It wasn't as if Jace had a shortage of friends, though. Simon and Clary were literally sat right next to Jace.

It didn't help that it was beginning to rain, Alec groaning in annoyance and pulling his hood up to protect his hair, squishing the black natural waves atop his head. Jace noticed, laughing slightly, "You know, you don't have to be here. Iz will understand if you have to go home and reread every Stephen King book."

Alec said bitterly, "At least I can read, asshole. I'm going home." He stood up, Jace grabbing onto his jacket sleeve and tugging on it. He said, "Come on, Alec. I was joking. If you shout like an idiot with me, you'll start to understand the hype." Alec shook his head defiantly, almost jumping out of his skin when everyone began to scream again as the team scored.