Chapter 3

Lacey slept for the rest of the afternoon.

As she drifted into unconsciousness, her mind wandered into another time. It was now 2007, and she'd recently met Devon Lee Riley. However, they'd already lived through quite a lot together, over the past few days.

"Okay, you start," laughed Devon, glancing at her as he drove down the rocky trail.

The two had spent almost an entire week together, miles and miles away from Bethlehem. They weren't quite sure exactly where they were, and Devon was sure he had lost his job by then, but it didn't matter. He didn't make very much, so any other job he could get would be fine by him.

Now, cruising through the forest in the stolen vehicle, the pair played Twenty Questions, and it was Lacey's turn.

"Alright, Mister." She twirled her fingers, thinking. "Any family?"

Devon nodded, considering the question. "Yeah, I live with my parents and my little sister. My turn. You studying? Working?"

"Yeah, I'm studying Fine Arts at NYU. I'm staying with my parents over the Summer, though. No job so far." Lacey looked out the open window, distracted. "How 'bout you?"

"Studying? Nah. I don't believe in college," he remarked, quietly.

Lacey scowled, rolling her eyes. "Even I believe in college, and I'm pursuing art. I can work without a degree, but I would be closing so many doors. How can you be okay with limiting yourself?"

Devon gave her a flat look. "Hey. It's my life. And it's my turn to ask the questions."

Lacey nodded, shrugging as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Should we head back any time soon?" asked Devon.

"Do you want to?" she asked tentatively, glancing up at him.

As she pronounced these words, she considered the possibilities. Would her parents let her come back home? Would anything be the same? Butch would kill her, there was no doubt about that.

"Like I said, I got nothin' better to do."

Lacey nodded, frowning. Her parents weren't the only reason she didn't want to go back. She had to admit to herself that she wasn't ready to let him go just yet. She had to know more about him.

Breaking out of her trance, she said, "Go on. Ask away."

"Alright," he nodded. "How's the baby?" he asked, serious.

Lacey laughed nervously, shaking her head, confused, "What the hell?"

"You heard me," he said, solemnly.

She began breathing heavily, covering her ears, as he began repeating, "How's our baby, Lacey? Awful mother... can't trust you... Lacey? Lacey, wake up!"

Lacey shot up in her bed, wide awake. Her eyes found Devon's, and she hugged him tightly.

"It's okay, Lace. It was just a bad dream."